1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound really quiet

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jporter313, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jporter313

jporter313 Thread Starter

So sometime within the last couple of weeks the sound on my computer got turned down to the point where it's almost inaudible, and I can't figure out how to get it back up.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that this happened when I installed the logitech quickcam chat I bought. As part of the installation process it runs an audio configuration wizard sort of thing. I have since removed this software thinking it would fix the problem, but that didn't help.

I currently have checked the volume on my headphones as well as my speakers, the volume in the notification area, the mixer, several media player programs (itunes, vlc, WMP) they're all at max. Am I missing a volume control somewhere? How can I fix this?

My system is Vista Ultimate X64 SP1, I am using the Nforce 680i onboard sound, I have 2Gigs of RAM a Core 2 Duo E6600 and a Geforce 8800GTX.

2. allheart55

allheart55

Did you by any chance download the SP-1 for Vista? I have three machines running Vista home premiun and Vista Ultimate that SP-1 snuck in as an update. All three of them have audio issues. I have two machines with the same configuration that do not have SP-1 on them without any audio issues at all! Coincidence? I don't believe it is. I belong to another tech forum where there have been similar complaints. All five machines are under two years old. Uninstalling SP-1 on two machines made little difference. I don't know if this makes a difference, but all of my machines are Dell. :confused:

3. jporter313

Yeah, actually I just installed the official SP1 update a few days ago. That could easily be it. Wierd thing is I had the SP1 beta for a few months now with no problems. Any solutions on that other tech forum yet? Thanks for the reply.

4. allheart55

allheart55

Actually, I believe Mylanta, one of the administrators did have a solution. It was discussed in Wednesday night Paltalk last week. Unfortunately, I was helping someone else at the time, as well as the fact that I didn't have SP-1 on any of my machines at the time. So, I have only a vague recollection of what the solution is. I do know this, whatever he figured out worked, because his audio is now back to being loud, clear and distinctive. (y)

5. allheart55

allheart55

BTW, I also had the beta SP-1 without any sound issues either. Weird, the beta versions are the ones with all the kinks in them, usually. Each Release Candidate is supposed to be closer to the actual SP-1 permanent version. Go figure? :confused:

6. jporter313

ok, so I figured it out and it's weird.

I went back into the sound control panel and went to the speaker window, then clicked the advanced tab and hit test. I noticed that my rear speakers, the audio levels were fine, so I went to the balance window in the levels tab, and sure enough, my L and R speakers were turned down to 6, while everything else was at 100.

I don't know if it was SP1 or Logitech, but either way, it's a strange thing for one of those installs to change.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice