1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Recorder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Penny Honey, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Penny Honey

Penny Honey Thread Starter

There is a program in my computer called "Sound Recorder" (Accessories, Entertainment, sound recorder). It seems to be preset to 60 seconds and I can't record anything longer than that. Can I change the "Length" from 60 seconds to something longer? It's a simple little program but I can't figure out how to change the length. Appreciate any help. Thanx

2. hotskates

hotskates

3. Penny Honey

Hi, thanks, I have checked it out and after double clicking the "Entertainment" folder I only get two icons. One for Real Player, and one for Windows Media Player. Sound Recorder is not in there...any other ideas? Think I will try to find a free one on the net. I see there is one called Audacity. Know anything about it?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Audacity is very popular. It has a lot more features than just recording and may be more than you want, but the price is right. :D

5. t bone

t bone

don't forget to download the lame encoder also and stick it in the audacity folder, so that you can export as mp3.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So you're saying it was there but has disappeared?
    If you somehow deleted the icon, you can uninstall/re-install, or just make a new one:
    Click Start | Run and type %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment
    Right click in the folder that appears, point to New, then click Shortcut
    In the shortcut wizard enter %SystemRoot%\system32\sndrec32.exe (or browse to it) on the first screen, then Sound Recorder on the second screen for the name.

If the program has disappeared, you can re-install it from Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components
    Highlight Accessories and Utilities click Details
    Highlight Multimedia click Details

You first have to unhide the Multimedia category:
    Start | Run type %windir%\inf\sysoc.inf press enter
    Search through the file to find this line:
    MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
    and delete the work HIDE leaving the commas so it looks like this:
    MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,,7
    Close Notepad and say yes to save the file. You'll now have the Multimedia group with Media Player, Sound Recorder and Volume Control.

Or you can opt for any one of the free recorder/editors that are out there.

HTH

Jerry

7. Penny Honey

8. johnni

johnni

Penny Honey - when I was using Windows ME I used to increase the Sound Recorder time limit like this below. It probably also works with XP etc. and you can try it out if you can now find Sound Recorder

"Go to Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Sound Recorder and record a short test. NB The max. length is 60 seconds but can be increased by recording silence for 60 seconds then clicking the record button again to add another 60 seconds, and again etc. etc. (The resulting silent file can be saved as a template for a future recording, but note that a silent file takes up so many bytes and a subsequent recording does NOT increase the file size). I suggest you just make a 60 sec. recording to make sure everything is working"

johnni

9. Penny Honey

Very interesting...thanx, I'll try it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice