1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Recording is Too Quiet!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by JonoLith, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm running Microsoft Windows XP, AMD Athalon 1800+, 1.54gh, 768mb ram. My sound card is a Dynex: Envy 24 Family Audio Controller WDM.

What's happening is that I get sound out of the card just fine, but when I run a mic into it I have to yell into the mic to get anything, or I have to put the mic right up against my mouth. I know it isn't my headset because I've put the headset through other people's systems and it has worked just fine. I had this problem before with my onboard sound card but I thought that it was just cause the onboard was a piece of garbage. The new sound card is better, I don't need to yell so hard or be so close, but it's still quite useless. I've already turned up every single setting to its maximum, so I know that isn't the problem either, unless I"m missing some obscure hidden setting that only God would know about.

Anyway, if I could get a grasp on what's going on that'd be super, and thanks so much in advance for your answers. I just hope it's not something retarded like my motherboard.

2. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

I'm just bumpin' this hopin' someone sees it...single tear...

3. AvvY

AvvY

Have you opened up the program for your sound card (often a little speaker icon in the system tray) and adjusted the Mic channel volume?

4. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

Yuppers, Like I said, all dials and meters that can be up are up. That includes the windows sound, and the program that came with the card. Also all boxes that say Mute on them are inactive. This, of course, could all be false if there's some super sayen hidden ultra box of doom that you must sacrifice a virgin to get into....which I'm up for.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Under the Advanced option for the microphone input, there is a 20dB mic boost checkbox, did you check that?

6. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

I have indeed done that. I'm beginning to think that it's some kind of obscure problem that only the greetest of evil could ever uncover (Or good if that's your thing). I'm wondering if I have indeed stumped the tech guy! Bwah ha ha!!!! ...oh....wait...that's bad.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Makes me think it may be the mic itself having a problem....

8. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

That can't be it either...we've tested several mics on the computer, and we've tested the mics on different computers as well. Each time the results are the same. We can't get any volume to register at all on the one, and the mics work fine on any other computer. It's baffling! BAFFLING!

9. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

Malicious and evil bump!

10. JohnWill

If the Mic works on other computers, and you have all the driver settings correct, it's starting to look like a problem with the sound card or a defective sound driver. Maybe it's time for a new computer. :D

11. JonoLith

JonoLith Thread Starter

I guess it COULD be a defective sound card, but this is a problem that was happening previous to this sound card with another sound card. What are the chances that the exact same problem could happen with two seperate cards?

12. JohnWill

I can't say. Whenever I've had low mic volume, I've managed to cure it with a new mic or sound card settings.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice