1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound Recording

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Van Halen, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Van Halen

Van Halen Thread Starter

Im having problems with my mic, just recently I have tried to run the voice test in sound,but all I hear when i try to hear my voice being played back to me by my PC is crackling and hissing, I use or used to use Yahoo messenger voice chat quite often untill this error, when i enter a chatroom now i dont see anyone else being indicated as using voice chat. i tried the normal browser version of yahoo and i can hear quite clearly other people but they cant hear me,just the hissing and crackling, i had to fdisk and reformat a while ago,and someone said i may have a conflict with my sound card not recognising my voice, but hardware management says no conflicts!? is it likely i need a new mic? sound card or both ?

2. DVOM

DVOM

Have you tried unplugging the mic and cleaning the plug? Then put the plug in and out a few times. It may be just bad contact.

3. Van Halen

Van Halen Thread Starter

yes done this several times no luck with it at all though

4. Nothingface

Nothingface

some motherboards have 3 jacks..i make the mistake of plugging in my mic into the wrong one..so try all 3 of em. also, open the volume controls (start, settings, accessories, entertainment) or double click the speaker icon on your taskbar if you have one. then there will be a volume control for Mic. If not, click options, then properties. then make sure there's a check next to the Mic option under 'show these volume controls'. Then you will see the Mic volume control. click 'advanced' under the mic controls (if you dont see advanced, click options, then advanced options), then there will be a checkbox near the bottom it will say something like 20dB boost. Take off the check mark.

5. Van Halen

Van Halen Thread Starter

None of the above mentioned changes anything,sound hardware test wizard in windows results in Static hissing and crackling

6. The_Egg

The_Egg

What is your make/model of soundcard?
    Or if it's an onboard chip, what is your motherboard make/model?
    And what is your Windows OS?

7. caliansa2

caliansa2

If you haven't done this already:

Open windows mixer, go to recording properties, select 'mic' and make sure it's turned up.

Kate

8. Van Halen

Van Halen Thread Starter

Good Grief! listen people, thousands of Ideas,and All pretty obvious, the fact of the matter is no matter what I do this damn computer (OS Me) Sound using ESS Allegro as default (Compaq Presario 5BW214 model) has stopped generating souind I cant use Voice any more,anything like MP3's or CD's play and sound fine,in fact all other sounds A1 OK! the original mesage read....I cannot be heard in voice chat anymore (Yahoo Messenger MY PC is failing to recognise anyone using voice ,the audio setup wizard via messenger,or windows voice test wizard both result in something like..... schhhhhhhzzzzzzzzttttt! <<< that is what is heard when the recording on both of the mention are supposed to be playing back my voice, Q! does this sound like a haedware/software issue? :confused: sorry for the abruptness,but were getting knowhere at the moment.

9. caliansa2

caliansa2

Hi Van Halen

I understand your frustration, but taking it out on the people who are trying to help you, is not going to solve the problem.

In my experience, computer problems usually have simple, but overlooked, solutions. Also you are new to the list so people do not know you, they have no idea of your skill level or experience.

Therefore the obvious ideas will come first. Most of the threads here are like that. There's no point rewiring the house before checking if the bulb has blown.

With patience, your sound card problem will be resolved. People here genuinely want to help you, but if everybody is not civil with each other, they will lose interest in doing so.

Next step: Reinstall Yahoo voice-chat. Or try another mic.

Kate

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice