Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sound reduces drastically when volume adjusted, fades back

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hi

This might be a stupid question but I can't seem to solve it.

Sometimes when I adjust the volume on my laptop the sound reduces drastically and then slowly fades back. This even happens when I increase the volume. In fact, as soon as I move the volume slider (in any direction) the sound reduces drastically. The same happens when I adjust the sound using the keyboard controls but not when I adjust the volume in the program playing the sound (Chrome playing YouTube, Windows Media Player, Groove, VLC etc.)

It doesn't happen every time but I haven't been able to find a pattern except that I think it happens less often with VLC. (I might be mistaking though.)

It is very frustrating because it is near impossible to adjust the volume without instant feedback. I have to guess a random adjustment, sit through a few minutes of very quiet audio only to find out it is still too loud or soft for my liking. And then the process starts all over again.

I am using a Dell laptop with Windows 10 installed.

Things I've tried which didn't work:
Set action for when "Windows detects communication" to "Do Nothing"
Enabled (and again disabling) the "Loudness Equalization" enhancement in the sound settings.
Ignoring it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am using a Dell laptop with Windows 10 installed
Service tag: DL1Y912
Express service code: 2957123686
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop.
It shipped in October 2014 in South Africa and came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.
It has an Intel processor, therefore it has Realtek ALC3234 high definition audio.
It has full driver support for Windows 10 64-bit, therefore all of its devices should work fine in it.

What's the exact driver version of your laptop's Realtek audio device?
A driver update may help, but I'm more inclined to believe it's the audio settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
It is using version: 6.0.1.7544 which is not the newest version but I haven't had any other sound issues.
I agree that it seems more like a weird audio setting (almost as if the computer thinks that when I adjust the sound I actually just want to quickly hear something else and then have it resume to the level it was at). Problem is I can't find any such settings.

Do you think it is worthwhile updating the driver at the off-chance it's the problem?

Thanks for your replies so far, much appreciated.

#6 ·
It is using version: 6.0.1.7544
HERE is version 6.0.1.7564 from that Dell laptop's support site which adds enhanced stability.

HERE is version 6.0.1.8186 from the Realtek support site.
(Note: This is the driver that I use in Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit for Realtek high definition audio)

It shouldn't hurt anything to update the driver, but if it does, you can always roll back to the previous version.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.