Sound Schemes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smaton

I have put in my own personal "Sound Scheme" BUT where does it save it to so that I can send it to a friend?
Stan

smaton
If you are refering to the sound used for events such as maximize minimize and so on they are sored in the C:windows\Media folder.
Dave

smaton

Hi Davey7549.
Thanks for the reply.
I have put together MY own "Sound Scheme" but I cannot find MY saved scheme.Is it some where else?
You are right The SOUNDS ARE in the Medis folder but I cannot find my saved variation.Any idea?
Regards Stan

Smaton
If the file was indeed saved, do you know the name you gave it or any one of the individual audio file proper names? If so go to start/search and type in the name of one of the entities and hit enter.
If you get hits on the search you can highlight the item and find where they were put by the address display above.
Dave

It would be nice if there were one simple list you could copy. But that is not how it works.
You can find your scheme in the registry, but it will take some work.
Or use Sounds and mark down the name of each event sound and the sound you have assigned. Have your friend enter manually. Your friend will have to put each of the event sounds in the correct location to match yours. (needs to be the same path)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps
You will see many subkeys. It's a long list.
Conf
Explorer
Etc ETc

Click the plus sign in front of each of these subkeys, one at a time and look in the left pane for the name of your scheme. Click on the name of your scheme and look in the right pane for the path to the sound file.

How good are you in the registry?

You could export each of these and then combine them into one big registry file. The person recieving this file could double click on the reg file to enter into the registry.
Or better yet, export the entire Apps key and then proceed to remove everything but the REGEDIT4 Heading and the pertinent keys. That would be some task. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you're doing.
Remember, the other person will have to place these sound events in the same path as they are listed in this registry file.

After you have finished with that, go to the next Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Namesand click the +
Add A New Key and name it Your Scheme0

If your scheme is named Classical
Classical0 would be this key's name

Look in the right pane for the dafault value. Modify it to
Classical

or whatever the actual name of the scheme is.

One more thing to consider is that you have different Programs installed than your friend. Only send sound event keys for those you both have in common.

That would leave him without sound events for any applications you didi not include and which he had. so, He would have to go in manually and add sound events for any applications not included in you registry file.

This can be complicated! I would say have him do this by hand. It will be less confusing for you both.

This may sound overly simple but it works for sounds in the media files. If you can remember one sound name or anything, just go to start>find>files and folders>make sure "look in" is set to C: and start typing in anything you can remember. Eventually you may come up with something you recognize and will then have the path listed so you can navigate to it.

smaton

Mosaic1 is correct.i am looking for the entire scheme that I made.
Will see what I can do in the registry.(Yes I know!Be careful in there stan!>)

I understand that he is looking for the entire theme. My suggestion is, wouldnt they all be where one is?

Doyce,
He wants to save a sound scheme. That would be the name of the sound event and the path to the sound file for x number of events for x number of programs.
Not necessarily. Normally sound events are saved in Windows\media. If, however, he didn't save them there........... but he should.

If he did, there is still the matter of transporting that particular
Scheme.

He wants to send a sound scheme to be installed on a friend's computer.

Basically, it amounts to the fact that I missed Davey's post, which I pretty much repeated.

I still think it would work though. :p

Doyce,
I'm sorry but you are both wrong. There is no one single file for each Scheme. A Scheme is a list of choices you have made for all the sound events. It is recorded in the Registry. That's what he wants to send. There are two ways to install a scheme. Through a registry file or by hand. --->>>>>selecting each sound event on the list in Control Panel>Sounds and associating it with the corresponding media file. And then saving that as a scheme and applying it.

And he would have to send the sound events if they are special and direct the user to put them in a correct folder on the hard drive to match the path if he were using a registry file.
Plus all the other details I mentioned in my other posts.

True. I may be missing it but the thought was, by getting the path to a particular file would give you a place to start looking. Such as when I find files and folders for say glass, it gives me C:\Windows\Media\microsoft office 2000. Then using that as a guide as to where to look in the registry.

It was just a thought though.

Mosaic
You are correct I misunderstood what smaton was attempting to accomplish.
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online