1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound stopped working after unplugging...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3rdMan, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3rdMan

3rdMan Thread Starter

yesterday I hooked up my PC to my home theter system and after unplugging it to put in my headphones the sound stopped working on either the earphones or the the stereo. Checked my sound devices and their drivers and went thru the XP troubleshooting menus and nothing is working. I am pretty certain that it is a hardware problem....could I have blown out the sound card in the same way you can blow out your speakers? Please let me know if anyone out there has any info.....

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

It's not likely that you blew out your sound card. It's more likely that the act of plugging/unplugging it might have Jarred something lose. Is it a separate sound card, or is it onboard sound?

3. 3rdMan

3rdMan Thread Starter

came with the PC which I purchased about 5 years ago so I'm assuming on board...

4. 3rdMan

3rdMan Thread Starter

from the device manager:
    legacy aido drivers
    MPU-401 compatible MIDI device
    SiS 7018 Audio driver

Hope that helps

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

That looks like onboard sound. Is there a separate card slot in the back that the plugs go into, or is it up with all the other plugs such as keyboard/mouse, printer, etc. ?

6. 3rdMan

3rdMan Thread Starter

Yea - its just below the print plugs

7. 3rdMan

3rdMan Thread Starter

so no separate card slot

8. 3rdMan

3rdMan Thread Starter

Hey it just randomly started working again....damn machine....but thanks for your trouble

9. Deathblow

Deathblow

Heh, ok. Might wanna figure out what changed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice