sound stopped working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jon Tanner

My sound has stopped working, I suspect the integrated sound card has died. Any ideas on how to check?

733mhz PIII Running Win 2000.
I don't get ANY sounds. No windows start up, no MP3 No sound from a CD.

:confused:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Jon Tanner, welcome to TSG...

Have you double checked your volume controls? Lower right hand corner speaker icon.....

Jon Tanner

Yes, I've checked the volumn controls.

the lights are "On" on the speakers themself. so they are powered up.

The cable is connected to the back of the computer. (sound out)
I've been through the windows trouble shooter. And have not been able to resolve this. I am really starting to believe that the built in sound card has died.

JT

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, nothing is muted, correct?

What happens when you open sound recorder and attempt to play a .wav file? Does it appear to be playing but you just can't hear anything or are you getting an error message?

Also, you might open the computer and if the sound card is one of the little cards that attach to the motherboard, you may make certain it hasn't wiggled loose.

Jon Tanner

The volumns are turned all the way up.
Nothing muted

If I open any application that plays WAV or MP3 they appear to play. (seconds tick off)

And as I said, I get NO sound when windows boots. Which it has always made that starting noise until the last few days.

The sound card is integrated in the mother board. hence no PCI card to come loose.

Thanks

Jon

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
No, I got the part about the built in sound....I've got it as well...there is a little riser card that attaches to the motherboard....not a PCI card.....may or may not be your case but worth a look......

Have you tried the speakers on another device such as portable cd player and are the connections tight and properly seated?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online