1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound stuttering/lagging problem, Toshiba satellite

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Legend1, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

Hey guys.

My laptop is a TOSHIBA Satellite L775 (Windows 7) and for quite a while now I’ve been having ‘stuttering’ problems with the sound. If I’m watching a youtube video (or listening to music files on my hard drive) occasionally the sound lags. It wasn’t too much of a problem at first but it’s happening quite often now and is incredibly annoying/worrying.

I’ve checked out a lot of forums and questions online regarding similar problems, so far I have disabled and replaced my sound driver (although there are like 5 NVIDIA sound drivers I did not have the option to uninstall), disabled a few programs/services using the msconfig (although I don’t think its related to the processor or processes, my laptop has 4GB of RAM and an intel i5 processor, I’ve ran pretty intensive games on it in the past with no problems so can’t see it lagging over music).

I tried downloading a new ‘atheros’ network driver, I didn’t uninstall the current one as I’m in the middle of revision and don’t want to cut myself off from the internet by mistake. I simply downloaded the replacement driver and ran the install wizard for it, the problem still wasn’t fixed.

It might be worth nothing that after I disabled a few programs to see if it was the RAM that the problem seemed to get worse, with massive hangs in the audio. The first time I remember seeing this was almost a year ago, I was playing Crysis 2 and the game/sound crashed. Occasionally after this the stuttering would occur whilst listening to music, and it’s got progressively worse since. Not sure if the problems are related at all, but that's the first time I noticed a problem like this.

Strangely when watching tv shows or movies (on VLC) the computer doesn’t seem to stutter, this could be because I’ve just never seen it happen, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t happen.
    I do not think it’s the browser or a youtube problem because it happens when videos are buffered ahead of the current position, and like I said it happens on music files on the computer.

Just now I had a bit of a breakthrough, I disabled the wireless and played a few songs and it didn’t stutter once. So I uninstalled the Atheros network driver fully and then reinstalled it (someone on a forum said it was a new fix, although the driver was a year old and was the same version as the one I removed). I was hopeful but got greeted by the biggest stutter yet when I played a song… There is another network driver I haven’t tried disabling (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller), so maybe that is a problem, unless my Atheros driver is the problem and just immediately screwed up again? There is also a virtualbox host-only Ethernet adapter but I disabled it as well in case. No luck.

I’m now out of ideas… Sorry for the long winded post but I want to give as much information as possible to help you guys help me!

Thanks for reading!
    JP

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The audio chipset actually appears to be Realtek. If there are any references to nVidia HD audio, that is for the HDMI audio output.

So manually update/reinstall the actual audio drivers.

With that said, it can also be software related. So any applications that run at startup could be suspect (even the AV software). Also check the cpu usage when the problem occurs. If the cpu is running at or near 100%, that could be the issue. Audio is low priority and one of the first things to suffer when the cpu is loaded.

3. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

Hey man, thanks for the quick reply.

I've been playing music and then opening Steam, Photoshop and more programs etc. whilst watching my CPU usage, to be honest the CPU usage does not seem to correlate with the stuttering. It did stutter once when it reached like 99, but it also happens often while the usage is bouncing around 30%.

Looking at the Sound, video and game controllers now in the Device Manager, other than the 4 NVIDIA ones I have a "High Definition Audio Device" by microsoft, version 6.1.7601.17514. I tried to make windows update it and it didn't work.
    Would you recommend downloading the same driver I currently have or a more up to date one?

4. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

I tried to download one and after offering me a bunch of useless toolbars it then told me the drivers weren't supported. Do I have to uninstall it first or will it say that anyway? I didn't want to uninstall it until I knew I had the right driver.

If anyone knows a reputable place I can get the driver from that would be great, just tried driveragent which ended up being a subscriber service, and then softonic which tried to install 2 toolbars and plugins and then didn't even work.

All I know is it says Microsoft HD Audio Device version 6.1.7601.17514.

Cheers.

5. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

Some more finds. I turned the wireless off and it barely happens, I opened like 10 programs and it started to happen slightly, then put the wireless back on with less programs on and it happened way more with the same CPU usage.

Edit: If this is a problem that has occured over time then what is the most likely solution? Would using the processor a lot cause it to degrade or something? As of late I have been using Oracle VM VirtualBox a lot which is what I first thought might have wore the computer out. I thought the wireless driver was the culprit due to this thread I found where someone said it was a problem that had been fixed, but replacing the driver didn't work. I'm hoping the sound driver is the problem but I can't find a replacement (and windows repair/driver finder is useless as expected).

6. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

Nevermind I solved it myself. I reinstalled the network driver again, only this time when I ran the installer I ran it twice, the first time selecting to completely remove the driver rather than modify it. I would have done that the first time but I thought when I pressed "uninstall" it "uninstalled" the driver... Ah well at least I got there in the end.

EDIT: No it's just happening less....

I disabled the network device then uninstalled the driver, then restarted my laptop, for some reason the sound driver had also uninstalled itself, although I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it, and I was listening to music before I turned the laptop off. Anyway windows automatically installed the sound driver but failed with the network, so I installed it manually again. But I'm still getting the stutters occasionally, on youtube and on music files. Also I swear the CPU is running at a lower % than it was before, can the drivers recorrupt themselves or something? Computers man..

7. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

bump.

8. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

Are people scared off by my walls of text or just clueless about this problem?

9. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Don't use the "update driver" or "Windows Update" to upgrade drivers in cases like this. Download and manually install the drivers from the manufacturers website. In this case, that appears to be Toshiba.

In any event, it would appear to be a driver conflict, or possibly just a network card issue.

11. Legend1

Legend1 Thread Starter

Hey man, thanks again for the reply.

I just used a HDMI connected HDTV for the past few weeks and the problem didn't occur once, I went back to my regular laptop speakers again for a bit and the problem seems to have gone entirely. Can't complain! Hopefully it won't come back.

The fact the problem has gone, does this indicate to anyone what the problem might be, if it could be temporary?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice