1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound, USB device regonition, rebooting no longer work, help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BBSpeed26, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BBSpeed26

BBSpeed26 Thread Starter

With no apparent cause (meaning all of these were working yesterday, and all that has happened between then and now is that my computer has been shut down and started back up), my sound and USB device recognition have stopped functioning. Being more specific, the only sounds that my computer now emits are various motherboard-speaker-based beeps, and not only can I get no other sounds, but the volume control is all completely grayed out AND in the Sounds and Audio Devices part of the Control Panel, it's telling my I have no audio device.

Additionally, whenever I connect a USB device (my mouse, my external harddrive, my flash drive, iPod, etc.), my computer will not recognize the event and will in fact give no indication that a device was plugged in at all, much less actually allow me tso use the device. Rebooting solves nothing and in fact my computer will not restart using the standard start -> turn off computer -> restart method. Additionally, even after disk and registry cleaning, it is running extremely slow. The worst part is that I can't identify an event that triggered this, it appears to simply have started happening.

I've only used these forums once before, and am past my knowledge as far as troubleshooting this is concerned. So if anyone can help me, please let me know what information I can provide to you that will help you help me. I'll do anything but would like to avoid having to send my computer back to dell or leave it with the IST folks here at school for any extended period of time.

Some specs to get started, let me know what other info I can provide that will be helpful, and thanks in advance.

Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop
    Windows XP SP2
    T2500 @ 2.00 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    And I would list my soundcard but offhand I don't recall it and since it's telling me I have no audio device connected, it's proving a bit difficult to look up.
    Symantec Endpoint Protection as the antivirus software

Thanks in advance, any help that can you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'll continue to comb the forums and see what I can see.

Thanks,

- Bill

2. JeffM

JeffM

Go to Start /All Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools and click on System restore. Then choose a date before this happened . It should bring the drivers back

3. BBSpeed26

BBSpeed26 Thread Starter

Unfortunately this doesn't work. What happens is that when I select a previous restore point, my computer goes to the blue, "windows is shutting down screen", appears to attempt to restore to the previous date, and then locks up. I let it sit for half an hour this way just to be sure and then just did a hard reboot with the laptop's power button. This is also the only way I can restart my computer.

Any other ideas?

4. vicks

vicks

As a start click on my computer. Right click on C Drive, select properties, use disk cleanup. When that is done select the tools tab and then error check (in Xp do this)
    it will tell you that it will start on reboot. go ahead and reboot it then let it run it's course. This may take some time. Hope it will help.
    Vicks

5. BBSpeed26

BBSpeed26 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, but I still don't seem to be getting anything.

Disk clean went fine, but when I went to do the error check, it never asked me to reboot and only brought up a window prompting me to start the error check. I clicked it, and after an hour or so the window and its progress bar had not changed and my computer appeared to be effectively locked up. Did another hard reboot to check if anything was different and my sound and usb support came back, but when I went to restart the computer using the usual start -> shutdown -> restart routine, it still locks up on the 'windows is shutting down' screen. A hard reboot later and my sound/usb is out again.

Any more ideas? I'm mid-semester in a rough engineering curriculum at the moment so being without this computer is pretty much not an option (sending it off to get fixed for example), and I'd love to be able to solve what ails it with the help of the fine members of this forum!

Thanks,

BB

6. vicks

vicks

Go to the Dell support site, you will need to enter the model number and the service number for your computer....run their diagnostic program on it and see what you come up with.
    Also d/l install and run the following free program. www.belarc.com
    This will tell you everything on your computer (including license numbers) I print this off to keep for reference when something gives me trouble.
    vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!