1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound/Video problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abcowan, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abcowan

abcowan Thread Starter

I am having problems with my sound & video. i'm running Win98, with a SoundBlaster pro. i just installed a Riva TNT 16 MB AGP video card. In SOME (not all) games and playing mp3s, my sound is very "fuzzy" with a good amount of distortion. There does not appear to be an IRQ conflict. I've tried to get updated drivers from Creative but it says there are non available.
    Also, I don't think my video card is being fully recognized as being on an AGP slot. When running some applications (esp. Quake II) I notice that it says Riva TNT detected on PCI port. And, when I originally installed it PnP said ti found the new deivce on a PCI port. (It IS in the AGP slot!)
    Any suggestions for resolving either of these problems?
    Many thanks,
    Abcowan

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

try updating the drivers

3. abcowan

abcowan Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The video driversd are as new as they come (NVidia's Detonator) and as for the soundcard, creative's site maintains there are NO drivers for SB Pro in Win 98! Thanks anyway...more ideas?

4. brianF

brianF

I couldn't find any drivers either, you may have to bite the bullet and buy a newer card.

As far as the pci/agp message that's normal. Windows always says found new pci device rather than agp

5. abcowan

abcowan Thread Starter

would the installation of the video card cause my sound to screw up? i never really had problems before. It IS a rather old card, on an ISA slot. Thanks so much.

6. brianF

brianF

Never heard of that type of card causing audio distortiion.
    Unless they where to be sharing an irq but I doubt the system would run if that where the case.

What are you system specs, it could be your pushing the system and it's dropping sound in order to keep up. Sound generally gets dropped first.

go to start/settings/control panel/multimedia. Make sure your sound settings look correct and the correct speaker setup is selected.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice