1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound WAS crackling. Now there's no sound.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B-Subs-Me, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Hi. I recently reformatted my Dell xps 400.. The only things I installed were :
    1)Sound driver off of a disc,
    2)Video Driver off of a disc,
    3)Network PCI Adapter software.
    In that order.

When I installed the sound driver, It did not work. It played system sounds, but they were very distorted and scratchy. When I'm doing nothing, I can hear scratching/crackling noises coming out of my headphones. I got tired of troubleshooting and left for a few hours. When I came back, my sound seemed to be working. There were still those crackling noises, but it was working. (I have this problem on both of my PC's. It seems that if I plug my headphones directly into the sound caard I get them, but if I plug them into the front of the computer, the scratching noieses are dramatically reduced. I had the headphones plugged directly into the soundcard at the time).

After 30 minutes of listening to the radio, it just stopped playing. Now I cannot hear any system sounds or anything; all I get are those scratching sounds.

What might be wrong?

PS: Here is Dell's driver webpage for the xps 400.I have not downloaded any of these yet. WHICH DRIVERS ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?

PSS: I don't have any antiviral software at the moment. Is it imperative that I get some as soon as possible?

Edit: I plugged the headphones into the back and I can hear sond. It is extremely distorted like it was originally.

-Thanks for your time and energy.

2. strongbad8500

strongbad8500

This may sound like a stupid sugestion but is it possible that you have a bad pair of headphones. Also you should get virus protection soon, Avast is the best free program as far as that goes.

3. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

No, the headphones are fine. I tried two pairs on it: the ones I use with my ipod and the ones I use on my main computer.

4. BG-0

BG-0

5. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    do you have the dell disks???? if so you should have driver and utilites cd that supplies all the drivers you need. After the reformat you should have installed the chipset driver first?? You do not mention that you did. Then probably video audio and network. Dell computers really really like the chipset first!!!

The link you gave just went to the drivers and download site. What you need to do is either enter your service tag number or go through the ..enter model etc. This should bring you to the list of what is required for your particular computer.

6. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Since then I have installed:
    SATA Driver-Maxtor Utility and Intel Chipset Driver and the problem persisted, so I uninstalled my audio drivers and installed the latest ones off creative's website http://support.creative.com/Product...laster&prodID=14066&prodName=X-Fi+XtremeMusic

none of that helped.

I really doubt I am having this problem because I didn't install the chipset driver first, but I made a system restore point when I first reformatted. I can go back to and use the resource disc rather than the Dell website if I really need to.

Any other ideas before I go back and reinstall everything?

Things I've done:
    Changed PCI slots
    re-re-reformatted
    tried three different drivers (on an earlier format I tried the one off the resource disc)
    deleted my IDE controllers

7. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    "...drivers of Dell systems need to be installed in a specific manner. I know it seems absurd, but this can cause issues of "corrupt" files if not done properly

the above was taken from here http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6367&PID=42661

Personal experience- wrong order of driver installation on dells made one unhappy computer.

Not saying this will specifically be your problem... but worth a shot

8. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

I just reformatted, installing stuff in that order and it didn't help. Sound is still just as distorted.

9. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to switch sound cards with my other computer to see if it's a hardware issue, but until then, anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong in case it's a software issue?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice