1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound work for WMP but not flash

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by silentmage, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silentmage

silentmage Thread Starter

I can listen to music with a media player like WMP11, Core media player, Zoom, and media player classic but get no sound from a flash video. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my sound drivers (I use combined community codec), uninstalling and reinstalling my flash player, and using a different sound card. I also have no sound when i use Nero to edit sound files (Nero wave editor) or when I burn CD's and try to preview the track I'm about to burn.

HELP!!

2. silentmage

so does no one understand this?

3. silentmage

still having a problem with this.........

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have a System Restore point which precedes the problem? Start > run: msconfig > Launch System restore.

Let me see what you have running by posting a HijackThis scanlog >>

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Also, will you test your bandwidth speeds at this site and let me know what you get >>

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

5. silentmage

I don't have a date that precedes my problem. it started in early august and my earliest point is sept 1st.

heres my hijack this...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:17:57 AM, on 11/6/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Fmctrl.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FmctrlTray] Fmctrl.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

and my speed test...

Download Speed: 12234 kbps (1529.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2016 kbps (252 KB/sec transfer rate)

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, you certainly have great bandwidth.

Let's go over some things again so I don't have your problem confused with anyone else's.

1 >> is this problem exclusive to viewing and hearing FLASH video and there are no other sound or video problems?

2 >> and currently you are not able to view either the video or hear the sound -- even intermittantly?

3 >> you have tried the registry check and possible edit described below and it is properly configured and the file is present in the system32 directory? >>

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/15/adobe-flash-no-sound-wavemapper-trick/

4 >> the problem exists in more than one browser?

5 >> can you hear the flash audio on this page >>

http://www.musicofnature.com/songsofinsects/flashtest/index.html

6 >> can you display the version number of your flash installation on this page >>

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

7. silentmage

I just installed the K-lite codec pack (I was using the combined community codec pack) and used the codec tweak tool to fix any broken ones and everything seems to be working fine.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Super -- well I just went through a caboodle of various flash checks, so I've got a few tools in my troubleshooting arsenal I didn't have before.

You should mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu here.

9. silentmage

thanks for your help!!!

10. silentmage

ok... sorry for bringing it up again, but it broke... again. it seems to be working sporadically, for an hour every few days or so. The sound isnt working and it will not play for more than a second and then freezes. to answer your questions....

1) I also have the same symptoms (no sound, stops playing after a second and freezes/crashes) with my nero express and nero wave editor, but nero showtime works fine.

2) The video shows up, but freezes after 1 second and will not play again. it will work for an hour or so ever few days.

3) i checked my reg and it had the proper driver installed there and in the system 32 folder. i tried to overwrite it from another computer that has working flash but i get "used by another program" error.

4) It exists in firefox (my main) and IE (i had to dig for that in my program files). i dont use any other browsers.

5) i get no sound from the website. it will load the song, the progress bar shows the song is loaded, but it will not play.

6) i have flash version 9.0.47.0

actually it seems that my problem now is that it will not play for more than a second. i should probably start a new thread, correct?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's try a little workaround that might prove interesting. Since you have Firefox, try adding the "downloadhelper" extension >>

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Also, download and install the Videolan player >>

http://www.videolan.org/

Now at a YouTube site or any which has flash videos -- see if you can use DownloadHelper to download the entire .flv file to your computer.

Use Videolan to play it. Will it play?

Another question: What configuration options, controls or settings for your sound card are available in this utility >> HKLM\..\Run: [FmctrlTray] Fmctrl.EXE

Is there a "wav" volume control there? And does it stay at the same setting or is it changing?

12. silentmage

I downloaded the video and it worked fine.

My sound card does have extra options, and my wave sound is turned all the way up. i checked it a few times when my sound wasn't working but it never changes.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, it has to be some odd-ball issue with browser plug-ins for flash then. I just don't know what it could be unless you have some blocking setting of some kind.

It's possible the "paid" version of ZoneAlarm would have this, but I don't think you can do it with the free version.

Do make sure you are not using a proxy server connection in either browser.

This appears to be an "orphan" entry and I would just "fix" it with HijackThis:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0

14. silentmage

ahh, well that sucks..... thanks for the help anyway. i'll see what i can do about that orphan entry, maybe it will help.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is Nero Showtime a separate installation? I'm thinking that there might be some conflict between that and the normal Flash sound playback drivers.

Do you have it installed on the other computer that has no problem?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice