1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KatieMcGuire, Mar 26, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. KatieMcGuire

KatieMcGuire Thread Starter

The sound totally stopped on my computer. I have tried all the things that I could find online like restrarting the drivers, and rolling back the drivers. What can I do?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Have you made sure that Windows Audio Volume and/or Mixer Control panels do not have the volume muted or at a very low level?

Have you confirmed that there is no audio coming from the audio output jack by using some other known good speakers and audio cord or headphones? If the computer is a desktop with front and rear jacks, have you confirmed that both are not working?

Beyond that, you will need to tell us the brand and the full and exact model number of your computer if it is a standard model from a major manufacture. Otherwise, we will need a list of all the major hardware components in the computer. We also need to know your operating system.

3. KatieMcGuire

I have checked the jacks, there is no sound. I have rebooted the sound driver. It is operating system Windows 10, and
    the computer is a laptop ASUS Desktop-AOK5F2L
    Intel Premium CPU N3540
    4.00 GB

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry it can't be a laptop and a desktop; which is it?

Since I get no matches for AOK5F2L, I won't do any searching until you clear up laptop or desktop and the exact model.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I could not find any Google matches for AOK5F2L either. Did you get that number from a label on your computer? Could is be serial number (which does not help us)?

6. KatieMcGuire

This is what I see when I type computer name
    Desktop AOK5F2L
    Intel Premium CPU N3540 @ 2.16 ghz
    Device ID 0F6D08C7-2804-4E27-9150-EF87CE10494B
    Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA289

Does this help?

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Exactly where are you typing the computer name?

If this is a laptop, look for a manufacturer's label with the model number. If you don't see a label and thal laptop has a removable battery, the label may be inside the battery compartment.

8. KatieMcGuire

Thank you, the sound alternates between playing and then turning off for a couple of hours and then turning back on, could the laptop just be too old?

These are the numbers that I found on the back label.

X553MA-BPD07051

and underneath: F7NOCV11416928D

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you for the additional information. The X553MA-BPD07051 number is an Asus model number.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X553MA/

I am telecommuting for work today and may have time throughout the day to look into this further. Other members, Like Liz, may help as well.

10. KatieMcGuire

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The laptop is from 2015. I'm typing this on a laptop purchased in 2013 while my husband is using one purchased in 2011. No it isn't too old but that doesn't mean there can't be a hardware problem with the sound chip.

Am I to understand that the sound will work for a few hours then turn off and you have to wait for it to turn on again?

Go here https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015070
    and run through the steps under Internal Speaker function is abnormal
    Do this a) when the speaker is working and b) when the speaker is not working.

See if there are any differences.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1242125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice