1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crusader, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

Hi all, I recently bought a new PC Windows XP. I asked the set up to be just for surfing e mail etc (cheap skate?) When I went to collect the system I also was given a brand new pair of speakers. Only having had a second hand lap top before I struggled a little with the set up, but now everything is up and running apart from the speakers?? I get no sound apart from when I dial up and the Modem comes through loud and clear. The plug is colour co-ordinated so it is plugged in the correct socket. The speakers are switched on. with my limited knowledge I also opened the sound troubleshooter and made sure no mute boxes were ticked and volume switches were on. I tried a CD as well but nothing comes out the speakers. Now the silly thing is...how do I know if I have a sound card in this PC? and if I have then what am I doing wrong? There was no software with the speakers so I presume it is just plug and go? Any tips help or advice.
    Many Thanks
    C

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Try going to Start/Run and type in "dxdiag" without the quotes.
    That should help you test your sound card etc from there.
    This is what works on (* SE, so not positive about XP.

3. mobo

mobo

Click on start/ control panel/ system/hardware/device manager...Now once there are there any exclamation points or red x's ?

4. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. No I can't see any exclamation marks in the place you told me to look?

5. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

------------------
    Is this of any help??

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 10/10/2003, 22:09:53
    Machine name: MR-28IF0D4DTFCQ
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
    System Model: System Name
    BIOS: ASUS - 42302e31
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1536MHz
    Memory: 224MB RAM
    Page File: 129MB used, 417MB available
    Primary File System: n/a
    DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.1106 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.
    Input Tab: No input devices detected.
    No problems found.
    Network Tab: No problems found.

6. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--No yellow or red marks present under dev mangr.....Is there a listing there for any type of Sound Device ? Clik the + sign next to somethin that says like, ' Sound and Video Game Controllers'. Should be somethin there that identifies some type of Audio Controller, etc.

7. mobo

mobo

now go to start/ control panel/ sounds and verify the volune is turned up. Now click on the sounds tab and click on any kink with a little speaker icon, then click the play button next to browse. If that doesn't work then try different ports on the sound card in the back of your pc.

8. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

The only info that looks remotely like a sound prog says

MPU Compatible Midi device
    Nvidia Audiocodec interface
    Nvidia processing unit

The only ports in the back are a different colour ie mic and things i don't understand.

the volume switch is up

sorry to be a pain

9. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

Ok I have just tried it in all available ports the one that says SPK and is the correct colour does not work.
    I have just plugged it into a port that is a small circle with a wiggly line in and an arrow pointing out.....and I have sound. Will this do the PC any harm if I am plugged in this and more impotantly what is this port. Many thanks for everyone who has been helping me.
    C

10. mobo

mobo

Spk is for speaker and it is the right one.. Different manufacturers sometimes use different colors.

11. WarC

WarC

From the DirectX Report:

Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

Problem with DirectSound...might also point to a problem with the soundcard drivers. I would reccomend you update your sound drivers. Go to www.microsoft.com, then windows update...let it scan your system. Then click the "Drivers" link and see if any are available for your system.

12. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

Will do thanks but in the mean time the port I am plugged into is working but will it harm the PC as it is not the SPK port?

13. WarC

WarC

Not at all. If it works, keep using it.

14. crusader

crusader Thread Starter

Thank you to all for your invaluable help

15. mobo

mobo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice