1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skinny, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skinny

skinny Thread Starter

Here are the basics. I have a compaq presario 5000 desktop with onboard sound and video. It had no sound. I have downloaded the driver from ess technology for the sound card and have updated the graphics controler because I was only getting the very basics for settings. So far so good but... I only have sound if I play a music cd. If I try to play a game or something else I get a message that there are no sound drivers. The device manager shows:

Other devices

! PCI Card

Sound, video and game controllers

ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)
    !Gameport Joystick
    MPU-401 Compatible

The chipset is intel i810E.

What am I missing??? If I forgot any pertinent info let me know. :) :)

2. scmazter

scmazter

Sounds like a sound driver problem.
    Emailing compaq about the problem would be your best bet

3. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Have you tried to install the drivers from the Qompaq site ?

Have you checked the Volume settings ?
    Often you have a speaker icon in the system tray below , double click on it & you'll see a lot of sliders.
    If not there , check in your control panel.

Check to see if the wave slider is set to maximum & that non of the sliders are muted.

For games its often necessary to install the latest DirectX version.

4. A Hawk

A Hawk

It has only installed the drivers for the wdm, which will only give you cd sound. You'll need the rest of the drivers to make it work. You can search threw google or go to the win update site and let them scan your puter for updates and it will find the missing drivers for you. :)

5. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    If I read your post correctly you seem to show a couple of problems in device manager. I think I would start by removing both of those, rebooting and starting over. Assuming of course that you have not already tried this and had them return still in error. I had a similar error "! PCI Card" in device manager after I reformatted and installed WinXP Pro. Took a couple of days before I found the conflict was something I had forgotten. I have a Hauppage Win TV USB device that I had completely forgotten was even connected. It sits out of sight and is seldom used. I finally remembered it, ran its installation and that cured my problem. It was conflicting with my sound card because it connected to the line-in of the sound card. Once I installed it and its drivers they all worked together as they should.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you go to this web site
    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...en&h_client=S-A-R135-1&h_query=presario+5000+
    and then select the device, HP list a number of versions of 5000 a b etc -
    if its a 5000
    then go here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=92867&lc=en&cc=gb&lang=en&cc=gb
    for software and drivers - select your Operating system and download the drivers

once downloaded :

you can then use device manager to update driver or
    delete the items with the yellow triangle and ! against them in device manager - then you can install drivers

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice