1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sound

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by misswilla, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misswilla

misswilla Thread Starter

We have a windows 98 that has sound on everything except playing games. We have played the games on an other computer and the sound is good. It worked a few weeks agon and now no sound on the games. What do you recommend.

2. sekirt

sekirt

Possibly MCI devices. No guarantees but try this and see if it fixes things. It
    won't hurt anything.

Open up Control Panel. Click Add New Hardware.
    Click NEXT a few times until it comes to the part where
    you get a choice "No, I want to select from a list."
    Choose that one and click NEXT again until a list of
    Hardware Types comes up. From that list,
    choose, "Sound, Video and Game Controllers." Click
    NEXT. A list of Manufacturers should come up,
    choose "Microsoft MCI" - in the box on the right you
    should then see a WAV device. Click that and then
    click NEXT again. When finished, you will have to
    restart your computer.

sekirt

3. misswilla

misswilla Thread Starter

It worked. Thank you so much. My child is soooooo happy now. Thanks again:

4. sekirt

sekirt

Glad to help (y)

sekirt

5. misswilla

misswilla Thread Starter

We have windows 98 that is used for kid games and homework. We had no sound on games, but sound on everything else. I changed my mci to Microsoft MCI and then the wav device and it worked until a complete shut down. Then we loose sound again. Any suggestions on why I loose it when we shut down? Thanks for all help.

6. sekirt

sekirt

misswilla

Did you receive my reply to your email about losing the settings?

sekirt

7. misswilla

misswilla Thread Starter

No I did not get that reply about loosing the settings. Please send again. Thanks

8. misswilla

misswilla Thread Starter

This might be a duplicate. I do not understand this site. I did not get the reply on settings. Please tell me again. Thank you for your patience.

9. sekirt

sekirt

It would be better to post it here than to send another email.

Something is apparently changing it back. How long ago did the problem of no sound come up? Does this computer access the internet? Possible that some kind of spyware is at fault. Do you have any kind of special sound board that is listed there along with Microsoft MCI? If so, try the same procedure with the WAV file but use that custom sound board, instead of MS MCI. See if that works.

If not spyware, I have another idea that might work.
    1) Boot up, fix the sound, make sure it is working.

2) Then go to Start->Run. Type: scanregw.exe

3) Click OK. The Registry Checker program should open up. After it is done checking the registry, it will ask if you want to backup the registry - click yes to make a backup.

4) When if finishes backing it up - click to shutdown but the choice you want is: Restart in MS-DOS mode.

5) When it goes into DOS (you will know because, if you have never seen DOS before, the screen will be blackwith a flashing cursor), at the DOS prompt, type the following: scanreg /restore

6) Note the space between the g / ("gee and slash"). Press Enter after typing that. The program will run and a screen will come up offering you a file to restore to. It should be the one that you just created when you backed up
    the registry. The one at the very top of the list. If your mouse functions, choose that one and let it run - if you do not have mouse functions, you would press Enter. When it finishes you will reboot back into Windows.

7) Once back in Windows, verify if sound does work. Then shut down normally and reboot again - see it that makes it stick.

If it doesn't stick, you can post a Hijack This Log in the security forum at TSG.
    Download from here. Not zipped, so you can make a new folder for it and save it there. Close all open windows before running Hijack This. Click 'Do a system scan and save a logfile.' Copy the entire log in notepad and paste it in a new thread at the security forum. Do not fix anything yet because most items are normal or needed. Then ask someone in the security forum to analyze the log for you.

Hijack This

sekirt

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice