1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Soundblaster Audigy fx 5.1 problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RetroKarl, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

Hey, I have recently bought a Creative Soundblaster Audigy FX 5.1 sound card, however, although it is showing in my devices list, I can't select it as an output option in sound settings. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

Yeah I have the latest drivers, Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

4. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

When I click on output device it just isn't there for some reason

5. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

Weirdly the headphones for the audigy do show up here... Capture3.PNG

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What are the top items in your last Sounds applet? Also, any change if you connect the speakers to the sound card?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you disable the onboard ie realtek sound?

8. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

There's no change if I plug speakers into card, and sorry not very technical, how do I find sounds applet?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's the last screenshot you posted, just scroll up and post it with the top items showing.

10. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try disabling the onboard audio in the BIOS setup of the motherboard and then boot up with the speakers plugged into the Creative sound card, make sure you are using the correct plugs on it too, the card has several ports are some are line-out or mic or rear speakers.

Also if you open up the Creative software or Creative Control Panel what does it do?

12. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

13. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

Disabled the onboard and restarted with speakers plugged in but now get nothing in sound settings except steam streaming speakers as the only option.

14. RetroKarl

RetroKarl Thread Starter

Ok so now I have the audigy as an output option but have no sound coming out at all.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At this point, here is what I would do. Start over and do the following in the order posted;
    1 Uninstall ALL sound software ie realtek driver, creative drive, any sound suite, etc
    2 When done, do not reboot. Tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull out the creative card
    4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Be sure the onboard sound ie realtek is disabled. Some high end motherboards will do this automatically when a real sound card is installed however do check and be sure it is disabled
    5 Pw ON and let the system fully boot. Download the latest driver from the creative site. The driver on an install disk is almost always out of date
    6 Shutdown and reinstall the creative card. If you have a choice of what pci-e slot, use a different slot
    7 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #5. Reboot when prompted
    8 Be sure your speakers are plugged into the creative card and not the onboard sound plugs on the motherboard

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice