1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Soundblaster Live ! boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brushpopper, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brushpopper

Brushpopper Thread Starter

I inherited a PC from a friend that said it was on the fritz, and would not boot up,....hmmmmm...after going thru it and finding that removing the sound card let the machine boot up, I started trying other sound cards and installing the original sound card in a different PC in which it worked. I am at my wits end and was wondering if there may be a jumper that can be switched or something? I cannot even get into the BIOS with the sound card installed..

Dell Dimesion 8250
    Pentium 4 - 2.53 GHz
    512 MB RAM, running XP Pro

Any help appreciated

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

The only thing that I can think of, is to put the sound card into different PCI slots.

3. jimmat

jimmat

Does the mother board have built-in sound? If so, you might check the BIOS and make sure the onboard sound is disabled before you install the sound card. I wouldn't have thought that would keep it from booting, though.

Jim

4. Brushpopper

I have checked the other PCI slots and no it does not have onboard sound, Like I said if no sound card is installed it boots fine, and the sound cards I do have all work fine in another PC...

Stumped again...LOL

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is the computer listed in your signature the one that came with the Sound card in question?

Dell used a Sound Blaster Live 24bit Digital in thier systems. I have found this to be a dynamite sound card. THere may be a setting in the Bios that needs to be made for the sytem to work with a sound card.

6. jimmat

jimmat

If your PC has onboard sound it won't have a card, it will be a chip on the MB. You can probably get that info from Dell's web site. You could also check the BIOS to see if there is a setting to enable/disable onboard sound.

Jim

7. Brushpopper

As I stated , it does not have onboard sound on the MB, and Yes, it is a Dell and as far as I know the board came with the PC, He said that it all used to work, I assume he went in and added something or upgraded something that blew it out of the BIOS or registry but I am at my wits end trying to figure out what.

The card in question does work in other pc's in fact I found a pc at work with the same card and just swapped them out.

Dusty, yes the one in my Sig is the one in question and I understand it is an awesome card that is why I would like to get it to work.

Gittin' reddy ta pull ma hare out!!

8. seekermeister

seekermeister

Don't consider this as expert advise, but I just thinking out loud. Since the sound card works in other machines, it would seem obvious that it isn't the problem. That would only leave the motherboard...or more probably, the BIOS. One thing that you could do, short of replacing the motherboard, is flashing the BIOS. This can be risky, but it doesn't sound like you have too much to lose. At worst, you would have to replace the motherboard, which may be necessary anyway.

9. Brushpopper

Well that was what I was thinking also, just holding off as a last resort...There are several jumpers on the sound card and was wondering if maybe changing them might help...just need something to act as a guide to kinda know what each jumper does.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As these cards were custome made for Dell you may have to go search the dell website for the directions to set it up. THe drivers are available from Creative though.

11. Brushpopper

OK, guess I will have to do some research on the DELL site, I did find out that the BIOS is proprietary so I cannot flash it, but maybe there is a quick fix...LOL..No, no....ROFLMAO, on the DELL site,

Thanks for all the input guys

12. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Brushpopper, I believe your statement "I cannot even get into the BIOS with the sound card installed" is in fact the end of the line.
    I would be suspicious that there is a problem with that card and that machine in combination and be inclined to suspect the card moreso even though you mention it functions elsewhere.

I have seen a similar problem being actually caused by another PCI card that was interacting somehow. (ethernet card)

Have you tried all cards and devices involving PCI removed then fitting the sound..

The video may even have some odd involvement.

Nothing is ever as it seems!

Cheers, qldit.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!