1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Soundcard and on-board sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by K-16, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

I already have my SB Live! 5.1 working just fine with the on-board AC' 97 audio disabled. I'm just wondering if it's possible to enable the on-board audio while the soundcard is running at the same time. Kind of like having two running soundcards.

Do I just enable the AC' 97 audio in the BIOS setup and install the AC'97 drivers, or is there more to it?

2. hw45

hw45

No, that won't work at all. Same as you cannot have two video cards with one Windows. Or two mouse or keyboards. Wouldn't make much sense.

3. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

I do know it's possible to install two seperate soundcards though (as there are programs that utilise multiple soundcards). Just not sure about on-board audio and a soundcard.

4. hw45

hw45

You are right. That's why I like computers so much, you always learn something new.
    Take a look here .

5. plschwartz

plschwartz

Nice find hw45!
    I told a guy a few weeks ago that he couldn't do multiple video cards.
    Maybe I should have searched more.:(

6. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

Interesting link. :)

Now can someone tell me the best way to enable the on-board audio? Or does my method work? (I've tried enabling the AC' 97 audio and installed the drivers, but I still can't hear anything through the motherboard. However, the soundcard works fine as always.)

7. hw45

hw45

Onboard sound usually you enable in BIOS-setup, or there is a jumper on the motherboard (you find that in the motherboard manual).

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- You might simply have to select the default soundcard you want to use- and change to the onboard one. You may have to set up hardware profiles, making shortcuts to change from one to the other, for specific tasks, like recording or listening to CDs. One or other will be shown as the default, open the Multimedia folder from Control Panel. There are settings there that should allow you to switch, though I have never used that feature.

9. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

Actually, it seems that installing the AC' 97 audio drivers and enabling the AC' 97 audio from the BIOS setup wasn't enough. Windows can't even find the on-board audio (although the motherboard works just fine or I wouldn't even be able to post this message). Windows doesn't even know there's on-board audio available (even after I enabled it in the BIOS setup). I may have to see if my motherboard has jumper settings to handle that. My motherboard is an MSI K7T266 Pro 2 for Athlon/Duron family processors (VIA KT266A Chipset Based). I hope someone has an idea.

Update: I found out that physically removing the SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 soundcard allows the Avance AC' 97 audio drivers to kick in and detect the on-board audio. The on-board audio works just fine, but if I plug the SB Live! Soundcard back in, the AC' 97 audio drivers disappear in the Device Manager. If I remove the SB Live! Soundcard, the SB Live! WDM drivers disappear in the Device Manager and gets replaced by the Avance AC' 97 audio drivers. As if I can use one of the two, but not both at the same time! Any ideas?

10. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Try a putting the SB Live card in a different slot. Could be the slot you are currently using shares the same IRQ as the onboard sound chip leading to a conflict of resources.

11. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

Are you saying the PCI slot I'm using can potentially conflict with the On-Board Audio IRQ settings causing the drivers to switch (one disappears as the other replaces it)? Um.... Ok. I'll give it a try.

12. vynsane

vynsane

XP supports up to 11 monitors hooked up to the same system... you would need to be able to use multiple vid cards to do that... and i've had a ps/2 and usb mouse hooked up at the same time in the past... never say never... :D

i mean, sure, the two mouses didn't make SENSE... but it was fun to have...

13. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

He already corrected himself. BTW I tried putting the soundcard to every different PCI slot I could find. That didn't work (the Avance AC '97 audio drivers are still replaced by the Creative WDM drivers). Are there any other suggestions? I'm using Windows 98 BTW.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    what do mean having 2 mice doesn't make sense - it's a great prank to play on some. :)

I guess a more practical purpose would be for 2 users of a computer where one is left and the other right handed.

On the other note, most mobo's with onboard sound i've seen auto disable when a sound card is installed. Even if they don't windows will only send to one sound but on the other hand it does have that 'use preffered device' option so it might be possible?

15. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

How do you play a prank on someone who happens to be in the same area as you? Also, can't a left-handed person just move the mouse to the left side of the keyboard?

I do fear the motherboard has some kind of failsafe or an auto-disable as it checks for any soundcards. Choosing the "use preferred device" does not work. Once again, my motherboard is an MSI K7T266 Pro 2 for Athlon/Duron family processors (VIA KT266A Chipset Based). I hope this doesn't have that failsafe.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice