1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

soundcard disabled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peat, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peat

peat Thread Starter

I have just installed an additional 128mb memory card.
    When I powered up the memory was recognised but sound no longer works on my computer.
    I ran the "add new hardware" from Control Panel" and got this message referring to the soundcard:

"The device is disabled (code 22)

You can't enable this device because it has been disabled by a windows driver"

Can anyone suggest a fix?
    If I were to remove the new memory card the sound work again?

I use Windows 98
    The soundcard is Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128

Thanks

2. ratchet

ratchet

3. peat

peat Thread Starter

The error message was:

You cannot enable this device because it has been disabled by a Windows driver

4. peat

peat Thread Starter

Sorry, I now realise that my previous was unclear. I followed the link suggested and the resultant message was:

You cannot enable this device because it has been disabled by a Windows driver

5. ratchet

ratchet

The error you posted is covered, third probelm.

First check in device manager to see if the device disable option is checked. If not, it says to remove device, reboot and let windows detect it and reinsall driver.

6. peat

peat Thread Starter

I removed the device and re-booted as suggested. Windows detected it and re-installed on start up but it is still disabled!

7. ratchet

ratchet

Just double checking.
    In Device Manager, Sound Card properties;

The Disable in this hardware profile is not checked?

Is there a conflict listed under Recsources?

Does your Mother Board have an onboard soundcard, is it disabled?

You might try running DirectX diagnostics,
    Go to Start, Run and type dxdiag, click OK.

What operating system are you running?

8. peat

peat Thread Starter

"Disable in hardware profile" is not checked
    Resources - no conflict
    I haven't a clue about mother board onboard sound card but I doubt it because when I bought this setup in the first place I did not include a soundcard as an option, this was added later by a "professional"
    Direct X diagnostic says

Failure step 3

HRESULT=0x88780788 (No Driver)

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That is strange....the ram installation shouldn't have done that....are you sure you didn't bump the sound card....be sure it's secure in its slot....although, I would think device manager wouldn't pick it up, with computers, you can never try too many things......

Another thing I would look at is a scanreg /restore from a c: prompt......just in case you did something that you don't remember prior to the ram installation.

10. peat

peat Thread Starter

I should possibly have mentioned that between my first post and my last I downloaded a DirectX upgrade.

I am certain that I did nothing prior to installing the new memory card - anyway scanreg/restore from a c:prompt sounds like chinese to me.

It could well be possible that I nudged the sound card, I'm not particularly nimble-fingered.
    Some other well-wisher suggested that I try swapping ram cards between slots and also trying the sound card in a different slot but I am loathe to do that in case my clumsiness causes worse problems than I currently have.

I am now tempted to remove the RAM card that I installed but am unshure whether or not this would restore the status quo

11. ratchet

ratchet

I agree with Candy (WB:)), when you boot hold Ctrl key, choose command prompt only. At the C: prompt type sacnreg/restore,
    you will be given a choice by date, choose a date prior to start of problem.

Won't hurt to try reseating sound card either.

12. peat

peat Thread Starter

Tried the scanreg/restore business.
    Windows said it had detected new hardware and was searching for drivers but the end result is the same, still no sound.

13. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

peat,

When you go into Device Manager / Sound-Video-Gameport,
    what is it showing you??

SM

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    sounds to me like you have to install the correct drivers. you should have a cd with them or you may have to download them from the internet. Then remove all soundcard related devices in device manager while in safe mode. Then restart your computer. If the drivers have a setup program, close all the found new hardware windows as they appear and then run the setup, if there isn't a setup program then point windows in the right folder for the drivers.

15. peat

peat Thread Starter

The soundcard heading has a red cross through it and under properties is the message

The device is disabled (code 22)

You can't enable this device because it has been disabled by a windows driver

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice