1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

soundcard not initialized?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blainewad, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blainewad

blainewad Thread Starter

whenever i try to play my realplayer, rioport audio manager, or anything requiring the soundcard, i'm given an error message. this never happened before the installation of my magicwriter cdrw 16x10x40 so i'm wondering if there's a connection. i've gotten the message that my soundcard could not be initialized. i've tried to fix the audio by going to Settings- Control Panel- Multimedia-Audio tab, but nothing allows me to change the information under the audio tab. i cant check off any boxes or click on playback devices. everything's just grayed out in color. can someone please help me???? i dont know too much about computers. thanks in advance.

2. brianF

brianF

Really sounds like you need to reinstall your sound drivers, do you have the cd or floppy that came with the sound card.

If not download new one's from the manufacturers web site and install

3. blainewad

blainewad Thread Starter

thanks for the help, brian.
    i went to the compaq site and downloaded an update for
    my soundcard, but there's no change. i still have the same
    problems. i hate that i dont understand my computer!!! any other
    suggestions? i appreciate any help....priscilla

4. Spinach

Spinach

have you checked for any conflicts under device manager? you can get ther pressing windows + pause or right clck my computer and go to properties then to device manager. You'll be able to identify conflicts if you see a yellow exclamation mark listed on the conflicting device

if there are any conflicts let us know!

5. blainewad

blainewad Thread Starter

there arent any conflicts listed. but i did notice another problem.
    i cant seem to access my volume control. can that even be deleted? how can i get that back? WHAT'S GOING ON?? i want my audio back!!!!!!!!
    ps- thanks for helping, guys......priscilla

6. brianF

brianF

go to start/settings/control panel/multimedia

First tab, should be a box to check to show volume control on task bar, is it there uncheck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!