1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Soundcard VIA AC'97 help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sirwatts, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

I cannot get any sound in my games. I have sound in windows, but none of my games have it. I installed, re-installed, and again re-installed the drivers. I had sound in my games at one time. The story is, I bought a barebone kit (AMD 1800, Raid L7VTA motherboard with on board sound.) I put all my other stuff in (Video, HD, etc). After installing the drivers I had sound but I had so many other problems I was forced to format my harddrive, well, ever since I cannot get soound in any games I play. Help?

I checked my dxdiag and got an error 0x90004005.

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

look under device manager..should be under sound, video and game controllers. you should see some files i think one should be like a codec, other like the AC'97 audio codec or something. are there any exclamation marks?

3. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

No exclamation points. It appears as if it is working fine.

4. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

No exclamation points. It appears as if it is working fine.

5. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

Can anyone please help? Still don't work.

If by chance I don't get this to work, and I go out and buy a Soundblaster 16 and plug it in, what do I need to do about my other pc of crap onboard sound?

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello:

If you get another sound card, first go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound, then go into device manager and remove it in safe mode.

I think you will be happier with a separate soundcard. As you can see below, I had problems with mine to and disabled it.

7. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

Thanx tons! I think you have persuaded me :)

8. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Ok sirwatts! Have fun with the new sound card! And if you need help getting it going, feel free to ask!:)

9. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

OK, I am still bothered! I know I can do the easy thing and buy a new soundcard, but I am still puzzled as to WHY I have sound in windows, matter of fact, I installed a game, and you know how sometimes during installation it shows features of the game? (i.e. while Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 installs, it shows parks and you can hear kids laughing and screaming and rollercoasters going). I CAN HEAR THAT SOUND! But when I actually load to play there is no sound. It makes no sense. And I am bothered cause I just paid $400 for this barebone kit (Processor, motherboard (WITH ONBOARD SOUNDCARD) and RAM) and now I have got to go and spend some more cause the sound is messed up? As I stated above with my problems, can someone help?

10. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

I don't think I stated this but when I run dxdiag I get a sound error 0x80004005.

11. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) what operating system do you have?

2) have you tried Downloading the sounddrivers from your motherboard manufacturers website?(scroll down to the VIA823x Codec Sound Driver and choose the version for your OS)

3) have you tried reinstalling Directx?

4) have you ran the directx diagnostic tool and tested your sound?
    (start, run, type dxdiag, hit enter, run tests)

12. Jtoast

Jtoast

13. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

I downloaded that driver and tried to "update driver" and it says it is compatable but that I am using "the best driver for this device"

any thoughts?

14. sirwatts

sirwatts Thread Starter

ok, I am not stupid, just having a brain malfunction...how do I re-install directx?

15. Jtoast

Jtoast

click on the "reinstalling DirectX"link I provided above and you will see "download" in the upper right corner....follow the prompts from there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice