1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Soundman.exe?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scallywag, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Hi There,
    Im Having A Problem With An Error Message On Startup Saying That "Soundman.exe Entry Point Was Not Found" Does Any One Have Any Ideas?

Im Running Xp

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's possibly the sound manager for the AC'97 Codec. Is that the sound system you have?

3. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Yes, Have Been Checking Whilst I Waited, Soundman Is The Codec For The AC97 Codec, I Have Disabled The Entry Using "msconfig" And The Error No Longer Appears But My Sound Still Works Fine, However I Think There Is An Error As The Windows Media Player Will Not Work

4. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

I Am Currently Reinstalling The Soundman AC97 Codec To See If That Cures The Problem, I Suspect The Installation Will Re-Enable The Disabled Start Up Entry In "msconfig"

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great minds.....

7. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Ok Will Try That, Have Just Reinstalled It Once And Now After Restart The Error Message Is

The Procedure Entry Point SetupDiGetDeviceInterfaceDetailA Could Not Be Located In The Dynamic Link Library SETUPAPI.DLL

8. Firah

Firah

Uncheck it in MSCONFIG.

9. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Ok, Unchecking The Entry In msconfig Hides The Error Message Upon Start Up, I Am Now Reinstalling Windows Media Player 9 In The Hope That The Reinstallation Will Enable It To Run, At The Moment If I Try To Start It I Just Get An Audible Error But No Box With Information, I Will Keep Updating My Progress So That Anyone Else With This Problem Can Follow What Ive Done, Thanx For The Help So Far.

P.S. Device Manager Shows The The AC97 Codec Is Installed And Working Properly And Running "dxdiag" Shows That The Sound Is Fine.

10. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Update!

Reinstalling Windows Media Player 9 Means I Can Now Use The Program, I Will Leave The Problem Entry Unchecked In "msconfig" And Hopefully I Can Go About My Business Without Too Much Trouble.

Im Going To Go With The Logic That Even If I Didnt Find The Problem I Have Masked It Enough For It Not To Bother Me, After All Another Error Will Be Just Around The Corner!!!!

Thanks For Your Help!

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any idea what started this train of disaster?

It looks like you did more than mask the error. It was most probably a registry error, possibly caused by a cleaner, that was rectified by the reinstallation.

12. GratedToppin

GratedToppin

Hi. I've just discovered this forum while searching for help with this problem. I've installed the latest AC97 drivers on my XP system and have the same error message of a 'soundman.exe' problem described above. However, for me, I never had a problem with the Windows Media Player. I've always been able to hear sound well - - but not use the microphone. When I unmute the microphone setting, all I hear is a loud but deep, steady hum. I really want to use my machine for PC-to-phone and this prevents it. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, the phone handset that I would speak into is not next to the speaker/machine, so that is not what is causing interference (in case someone was wondering).

I have an eMachine and the people there were nice in trying to help me out, but to no avail. The final advice was to try reinstalling Windows, but I'd much rather not go that route if possible. I reinstalled the latest sound drivers, but that didn't help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice