1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Source Code encription

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by yul, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yul

yul Thread Starter

Is there any software available to encript all the html code?

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

This is probably as close as you're going to get, but it's not fool proof.

http://sourceencryption.triosade.com/

If you encrypt a file, I can tell you how to decrypt it.

So it won't be impossible to get your code, but most won't bother trying to decrypt it. However if you do encrypt your code, it will make some just want to see your code more. Then they'll get your code and post it on the net.

Not worth the trouble.

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Not very effectively or reliably. If you use JScript its IE only. Javascript and it won't work for 13% of users.
    Besides, the browser needs to decrypt the code to display the page. If a browser can decrypt it, anyone who knows what their doing can decrypt it by checking out the source.

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Yep, and if you want to decrypt the code, one way to do it is view it in IE, save as mht, load the mht file, view source, change the decode script to write to a textbox instead of writing to the document, save it as an html file and load it. Then you will have all the html and script source.

It's really simple.

5. Corrosive

Corrosive

A better way to hide your code would be to simply make it harder to read. Keep a nicely formatted version on disk, and upload a version with no comments, no indenting, and generally no structure. The casual browser won't see anything awry and a hacker probably won't go to the bother of searching through your jumbled mess.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

@Corrosive

Good point.

However, using edit plus, html-kit or other editors, I can restructure the code in with the "reformat" command in a second.

We all agree that there is no "perfect" way to hide the source of your webpage. Using all flash doesn't help either, because you can use a flash decompiler to see its source.

I personally want people to be able to see the source of my pages. That way if they notice a problem with the page, it will be easier for them to figure out what the problem is (if the choose to). This just saves me time.

7. Corrosive

Corrosive

I never thought about reformatting commands. Which is funny, because I use one a lot... :rolleyes: :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice