Soyo SY-5SSM motherboard does nor recognise hard drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Geoff59

I recently purchased this second-hand motherboard to replace one I messed the BIOS update on. When I went to boot up and entered BIOS to check/set parameters I could not get it to Auto-detect my 2 hard drives [WD 400 & Seagte 1.27G]. It detected my 2 CD ROM drives. I swapped the cable so the hard drive connector was on the CD ROM IDE but BIOS still did not recognise the hard drives. Later I booted the computer and inserted a DOS floppy and it showed Drive A: and also Drvie B: but all other drives were invalid. I also tried just connecting the WD as Master and then Cable Select and then just the Segate but no difference.
The motherboard was taken out of a computer so should be ok. How can I get the Soyo to recognise my HDD's. Would a BIOS update help? Ca nthe motherboard be tested?

WD hard drives are tricky and known for this-especially when they are used with other drives and indeed both can disappear. Check your HDD literature carefully for jumper settings or find them online. You may even have to move it around the IDE channels.
Older Soyo boards often have to have their cmos settings manally reset to auto to detect new HDD's because they stay stuck on the last settings used until reset to auto. Many of their boards have two places to auto detect the HDD-one is located in the first group in cmos and the other is located in the third to last group. If you have both these HDD detection areas set the first group to auto and then use the third to last group to autodetect the HDD's, pressing Y to confirm the detections all 4 places.
You could have just got the bios update on your last board reflashed by a mail order flash pro. I get it done on ebay for about 14 dollars when necessary. And then there's always hotflashing lol....

Bill,

You said, "WD hard drives are tricky and known for this-especially when they are used with other drives and indeed both can disappear."

Don't know where you got this 'fact'. Personally I never had that problem and I use WD with Maxstor all the time.

Sounds like defamation of character to me! ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online