1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP1 Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by John4444, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John4444

John4444 Thread Starter

Recently I got my hands on a computer that had no operating system, and the man said he wanted Windows XP on it.

All I had at my disposal was a DELL Windows XP Pro SP1 install disk. So, I installed SP1 on it, thinking I could just update it.

At this point, it can't get Internet, so I can't update. I tried just attaching an ethernet cable; still nothing. It can't play sound or anything; I think all the drivers are gone.

What can I do? I feel out of options.

2. DarylIT

DarylIT

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Use the link you were given to download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade in a working computer, then burn the saved file to a CD-R, then use that CD-R to make the SP3 upgrade in the non-working computer.

Making the SP3 upgrade probably isn't going to install the drivers and get all the devices working, but the upgrade needs to be made anyway.

After you've made the upgrade, go into the Device Manager and advise us what's listed in these headings:

Display Adapters

Network Adapters

Other Devices

Sound Video And Game Controllers

Once you've provided that information, I'll advise you what steps to do next.

The devices need to be identified so that the XP drivers can be located for them.

By the way, what's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice