1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP1 in a loop and won't install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Feyenord, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feyenord

Feyenord Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having some problems installing SP1 on my computer. This morning I happily clicked on "download and install SP1" in the automatic updates. Everything was going fine, downloading the update half an hour, then Vista took it's sweet time installing it another half an hour (only god knows why, since the update is only 32mb big or so). After the installation finished, I got an irritating error:

[​IMG]

And 2 other windows with the same content popped-up right away (makes no sense, yeah).
    I tried installing it 2 more times, no success. Fine, let's restart the damn thing. Upon shutting down, I got a screen saying: "Installing Service pack: stage 1 of 3". A glimpse of hope there, fingers crossed,...but it only got to 80% of stage 1 or so and then: "unable to make changes, reverting...". Gah!!
    And also when I enter Vista it does the same thing, first updating, then it just cancels and goes to log-in screen, where at least I can go into windows.
    I also tried the 5 language stand alone SP1 package from M$ site, but the problem remains.
    Even going into safe mode doesn't help, it's the same. If I try to fix the system files with SFC command via console, it just says that "the computer is currently already in a repair process, please reboot and try later".
    So it looks like I got my stupid windows stuck in a loop again, I get to watch annoying update screens during shut-down and boot and SP1 isn't installed either. Heeeelp!

P.S. My PC:
    Asus A7V600 (VIA KT600)
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (1,97Ghz - stock)
    2x512MB RAM (Viking, Patriot)
    Club 3D Geforce 7600GS
    VIA AC97 onboard sound card
    Vista Ultimate

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Something is wrong here SP1 is 434 meg not 32 meg.

4. unbidden

unbidden

If installed via Win Update, only what is needed is installed. The more current his updates are, the less is needed to install. I will admit that 32 meg is the smallest I've seen, but I've often seen installs in the 80 meg area.

Info: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968895.aspx

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I wasn't aware it came through Windows Update yet.

6. ikiscompisbroken

ikiscompisbroken

stopped installing in stage 3 of 3 a 0% i turned it off and on again after ... 72 hours of 0% it then sorted it out...no probs found yet...will probably become more evident later on

7. db1101

db1101

This is the same problem I have now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice