1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sp2 And Connectivity

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mset, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mset

mset Thread Starter

Lately there have been several threads started by people like me whose computers started to exhibit weird intermittency in accessing webpages and email servers. I have begun to think that this all has something to do with Windows SP2 since my problems started at about the time when I installed it.

I went to the MSFT site to get some help - here is the first thing I found

Q. What is the procedure for uninstalling Windows 2000 SP2?

A.

This Service Pack contains an uninstall feature that you can use to restore a computer to its previous state. When you run the Update.exe program to install the Service Pack, a subfolder named $ntservicepackuninstall$ is created in your %windir% folder.
    You can uninstall the Service Pack by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or by running the uninstall program from the command prompt.

Important Service Packs that have been installed using the integrated installation method cannot be uninstalled.

In addition, as with previous Service Packs, if any programs or services have been installed that require or have fixes contained in the Service Pack, uninstalling the Service Pack can adversely affect those programs.

I tried pasting "$ntservicepackuninstall$" into the run box and hitting enter - the results mean nothing to someone like me. There is nothing in Add/Remove programs that will allow me to uninstall SP2. Did I install SP2 using the "integrated installation method"?? I have no idea - certainly I was given no choice to install in a way that would make uninstallation impossible.

Can someone tell me

a) How and if I should uninstall SP2

b) Can SP4 be overinstalled without uninstalling SP2?

c) Is this a safe/ good thing to be doing?

d) someone said something about 'updating' SP2 with the fixes available at MSFT site - is this a possibility? I could not find a page which provides such fixes for SP2 for WIN 2000

I am running WIN 2000 PRO

Thanks a lot for any help. Nick

2. dai

dai

i hope you are talking about sp2 for win2000 and not the current sp2 which is for xp,which is the sp2 most of the threads are discussing at the moment

3. mset

mset Thread Starter

Hi dai

Thanks for the response.

The honest truth is - I am not sure. About three months ago, when my problems started, it was suggested to me that I install SP2. I know my own OS. I went to the Microsoft site and installed what I believed to be the correct service pack.

Could it be that I have installed the wrong service pack? Can I find out? Should I just go ahead and install SP4 over top of the one that I have now, regardless of which one it is? Do I need to uninstall SP2 ONLY IF it is the WRONG service pack?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. It has been a long road trying to rid myself of these computer problems, but with the help of the techs around here, I feel like I may be getting closer. Thanks, Nick

PS - Damn those Ncase guys!! :)

4. dai

dai

what made me comment was 2000 is up to sp4 just, install sp4 and if you still have problems,post what they are

5. mset

mset Thread Starter

Hi dai

Thanks for the information

My problems is that I have a known good connection to the internet through DSL, but my browsers and email clients will work one minute then fail the next then work again then fail - intermittently.

I've started several threads in order to try to figure out what is going on. Here is the latest, in case you are interested.

http://forums.techguy.org/t268236.html

I will install SP4 over top of SP2

Take care, Nik

6. dai

dai

i think you will find this intermittant problem is with your isp,i have just had the same problem trying to reply to this post
    my isp is in the process of installing it's own equipment at the exchanges,if it does not fix the problem i will be looking for another one
    when you contact them it is always your comp. not them,then you receive an email saying it is a problem with an upstream provider.

7. mset

mset Thread Starter

lol... yeah, I know what you mean. My provider is a big co. which lies all the time. Thanks for the replies.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!