1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 and Windows Messenger Removal/disable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LauraMJ, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Hi, I recently installed the SP2 on my computer. Quite some time ago, back when I first got Windows XP, I removed the Windows Messenger program from my computer. It kept interfering with my MSN Messenger program.

After I installed SP2, it seems to be back. Does this happen with SP2?

I searched on this site and found a lot of information about removing the Windows Messenger, but not specifically pertaining to SP2. Will it still be okay to remove Windows Messenger with SP2 installed?

What would be the best way to it since SP2 has re-installed it? I believe, what I did the last time, was to unhide it so that it appeared in the Add/Remove Programs list, and uninstalled it from there. Is that the best way?

A funny thing, is, in the Add/Remove Windows Components list, it is STILL Unchecked. :confused:

I would appreciate any advise on this. It's been a loooong time since I removed it the first time, and I didn't have SP2, and I am uncertain if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. LauraMJ

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

That one only talks about SP1. I have SP2. Which is what re-installed Windows Messenger, I believe. I am hoping for someone to tell me if this information is still applicable to SP2?

4. telecom69

5. telecom69

Let me just clarify things a little,although you may not want to use Messenger,other applications may require its services,microsoft never like you removing anything anyway, thats why its best to just disable it whether with SP2,SP1 or whatever ......

6. LauraMJ

Okay, that's fine. I just don't want it turning on when I don't expect it to. For instance, after I installed SP2, and then connected to the internet the next day, someone on my MSN list contacted me. I was surprised, since I hadn't turned on the MSN Messenger. The window was the ugly Windows Messenger thing, and my friend said that I was on his list as "online." I checked all the settings, and all of them on Outlook Express, and the Windows Messenger itself are all UNchecked. Very frustrating! I like MSN Messenger, I do NOT like Windows Messenger.

So, if I use this tool from Doug in the above link, would it permanantly disable the Windows Messenger? That one seems to be the easiest method. I tried to rename the folder, but the system wouldn't let me. :mad:

7. telecom69

Disable it Laura,and lets find out ....

8. LauraMJ

Oh, okay, I'll be the guinea pig....... :p

I downloaded and ran the tool created by Doug Knox that was recommended on several of those sites, (found HERE )

I ran the utility and chose the option to have it disabled. I could have chosen to have it removed, but I will see how well this "disable" feature works.

Of course, now that I've done that, the whole Net. service is down and I can't experiment and see if it works or not..... :rolleyes:

9. telecom69

Please let me know the outcome, when things return to normal,it helps others to that may get the same problem ..... :) :p

10. LauraMJ

Well, I've been on my MSN Messenger, and have not been bothered yet while that one has been off, as I was before. Now, whether that is because this disable utility is working or because no one has simply contacted me when I've had the MSN one off.

So, if there is ever another instance of someone contacting me when the MSN is off (which would mean the Windows Messenger is running) then I will post back. Otherwise, I suppose we can assume that this utility works in the "disable" option. There still is the "remove" option of that utility, if I have any further problems, I might give that one a go.

But, for now, it seems to be fixed.

11. telecom69

Thats good news Laura,many thanks for letting me know the outcome,I appreciate you being the guinea pig as it does help others ..... take care :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice