1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sp2 blues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by used2fly2002, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. used2fly2002

used2fly2002 Thread Starter

In the last few days, I have failed to get sp2 to properly install on my machine. It nears the completion stage, then freezes my computer. I went to M$ site for online help, and found it not extremely helpful. In following M$ instructions to uninstall, you get many warnings that indicate much of your software "might" not work normally after, yet you must do it if you did not get a complete installation. I should have heeded the warnings, but had to proceed because the partially installed sp2 was freezing my system. So I used add/remove to remove it successfully, however on removal I believe it took items out of the registry that were required, ie. almost all my drivers were removed (graphics, sound, printer, raid array and more) So I began reinstalling drivers that windows did not find on its own, but the machine, while operable, was dreadfully slow and quirky, so I did a system restore to the day before sp2 installation, and I am back to normal with sp1. My question, Should I try again in safemode with their free CD, (This was suggested to me by M$ as they believe my computer running zonealarm 4.5, NAV03, popupstopper, and Spybot S/D may have some conflicts with SP2) Or should I be happy with a working computer that has the above mentioned security 3rd party programs that may be better than what is in SP2. In other words, if you already paid for the security enhancements, why does anyone need SP2? Thanks for any insight Gary

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

So many people get problems with this SP2 its unbelievable,in my opinion it really is best to wait awhile until they have fixed it,some people dont get any problems but they are in the minority,it depends on the computers configuration as to how it accepts the SP,so it would be best to be patient,like you say you have all the protection and your computer was working ok before,so why bother? .......

3. LordTech

LordTech

just get a firewall and download mozilla thats your sp2 and a much better one at that

4. mimo2005

mimo2005

i ve read somewhere ,if your machine is not clean ,i mean totally clean from bugs and spywares ,the sp2 freeze at install .the best way to do a nice and smooth migration to sp2 is to clean what needs to be cleaned .

5. mimo2005

mimo2005

SEATTLE (AP) -- Though Microsoft Corp.'s new security update package is all about protecting systems from worms, viruses and spyware, it can't do much about what's already on computers -- and that could pose a problem.
    The company is warning users of the Windows XP operating system to check for spyware before downloading the free massive security update, called Service Pack 2.

Barry Goff, a group product manager at Microsoft, said some spyware could cause computers to freeze up upon installation of the update.

Spyware, which typically piggybacks with downloaded software such as file-sharing programs, tracks behavior, triggers pop-up ads and can otherwise cause problems on computers.

Programs such as Ad-Aware and SpySweeper can scour computers for spyware. Microsoft recommends that users clean their PCs of spyware and back up their data before turning on the auto update feature that automatically downloads Service Pack 2, or SP2.

People who download SP2 also may need to check whether legitimate programs, such as third-party security software, need to be updated. SP2 makes major changes, including adding a Windows firewall to better guard computers against attack, and those changes can also cause compatibility issues with other software.

FIRST clean YOUR machine ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice