1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 Grief

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tallokas, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

Thank goodness I haven't installed sp2 yet but my son did and now nothing works. He said after installing sp2 and rebooting everything looked normal, desktop, etc. Only problem is that nothing works.

He clicks on an icon and the computer churns for a sec and then nothing happens. He tried sys restore but it keeps coming up that the restore point was after sp2 was installed.

Then he tried to reinstall xp with the cd and and it installs for a couple of minutes and then says it's done but still has the same problem.

I've heard of all kinds of problems with sp2 but nothing like this.
    Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this situation?

I wish I could be a little more specific but this is all the info I have.

Thanks for your help.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

did he defrag the hard drive after the install/upgrade?
    usually leaves a bit of a mess that needs cleaning up - results in very slow activity

i did a clean install on one machine and an upgrade on another - no problems (other than the need to defrag) on either

real mixed bag of experiences out there, thankfully mine went fine

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

If he can get to Control Panel> add/remove He can uninstall it and everything should go back to normal If he wants to try to install it again

GO HERE http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2getinstall

and read it over completely .

Also look here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

Once SP2 has been uninstalled ask him to defrag . This should improve his performance .

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html Go Here as well Get him to download SpyBot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware Se setup according to the tutorials and do a scan with both getting rid of all they find This should be done weekly .

Download Spyware Blaster Look for updates weekly . This will not find anything but will protect spyware/malware from being installed .

If he does not have an anti virus program installed get AVG It is free . Setup to scan daily and look for updates every 5 days . He should also have a firewall set up . Use zonealarm or the built in XP.

Do the above and he will be well protected untill he figures out what to do about SP2 Good Luck

4. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll pass it along to him and hope for the best. (y)

All I know is that I am probably never gonna install this piece of misery!!

Thanks again for your help.

5. Lightning

Lightning Guest

There were probably problems with the computer before he installed SP2. The problem isn't with the service pack.

6. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked so it's format time for him.

His computer hasn't been formatted in quite a while so it'll probably do him good to get everything cleaned out. (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice