1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 information bar issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by btroy, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btroy

btroy Thread Starter

Hi all, I am back after chasing a 100% CPU utilization issue. After running a dozen programs (virus scan/ad-aware/SB S&D/Spysweeper/ etc...) I was not able to get this corrected. I decided to perform a fresh install of XP. Along with an update BIOS from Compaq. Pc is a 5321SR with 896 RAM.

Well this corrected my CPU issue. Not sure why but it did. :rolleyes:

After I was back up and running I created a restore point then went and downloaded/installed SP2.

I when ran all of my tools again, this is where I encountered an issue. When I went to McAfees, which uses Active X to install updates. I have an issue. The problem is with the ever so useful "Information bar". The bar pops up when I try and download/update my definitions.

Problem is I try to click on it to get the options to let Active X proceed but I do not get any options to choose from. All I get is a "whats this "information bar". Is there anyway to disable this most helpful information bar function?

I have set all of my Active X controls in the security section of IE browser to either enable or prompt.

I rolled back to SP1 and I have no issues. I could stay on SP1, which is my current game plan, but I can also roll up to the restore point of SP2 to try and correct issue. Once I can get all of the issues corrected I will stay on SP2.

Any help anyone could provide would be most useful.

Troy

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. btroy

btroy Thread Starter

Thank You, I looked for that for a long time.....Problem solved.....Back on SP2 and all appears tobe working for now.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!