1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 Problem! im sure uve seen enough of these

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gmpk, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmpk

gmpk Thread Starter

ok
    (This is while i had SP1) i went out and bought a new 160gb harddrive for my old computer. while installing my hard drive, a little pop up appeared saying that i can only use 143 gb of the 160 gb because i have SP1. well, it was time to update to SP2 anyways, so what the heck. after opening up the windows update icon on my system tray, i downloaded sp2 and started to install it. well, i passed security just fine, but a little more than 3/4 the way through the installation, a little pop-up popped up saying, "Access Denied". i click "Ok" and then the installation process reversed whatever the installation installed deleted itself. after the deleting process, a pop up came up again saying something like this "Windows might not function properly because it was partially updated" heh....what?
    a little background info:
    I purchased xp pro
    help me please!!!!

thank you!!

2. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Did you update it from an Administrative account?

3. gmpk

gmpk Thread Starter

yes, i did try to update from an administrative account

4. jmatt

jmatt

5. gmpk

gmpk Thread Starter

ok, i downloaded sp2 from one of those sites and extracted it. what now?

6. jmatt

jmatt

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

That's the usable size of a formated 160GB disk.
    Has nothing to do with Service Pack 2. That item was solved with SP1.

8. gmpk

gmpk Thread Starter

ummm, no. the program that i used to install my hard drive specifically said that i need sp2 to use about 153 gb of the hard drive space. i even called western digital to verify this.

when installing sp2 from the extracted file, the same problem came up again with the same pop up and the same error....i also saved a screenshot..i dont know, it might help...

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/9474/gah8cs.jpg

9. jmatt

jmatt

10. gmpk

gmpk Thread Starter

finally, i found a solution to the access denied error. i searched sp2 access denied and i found a bunch of working remedies. it turns out that there are many people that have the same problem. you might want to sticky a solution to this problem...i dont know.... well anyways, thanks for all your help guys, you all saved me a great deal of time...

my hard drive space is now 157 gb and i am satisfied

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!