1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 screwed up my cd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scmazter, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scmazter

scmazter Thread Starter

Here's the story:
    I installed alcohol (long ago - trial version) which created a 'virtual' E dvd/cd drive.

I install SP2 for XP today, and everything seems to be fine.
    I start to play starcraft, then in the middle of my first game, It shuts down, and windows says, cant read INSTALL.EXE

I'm like wft, never happened before, tried running starcraft, didn't work, so went to my comp, and discovered that I HAD NO D: DRIVE!!!! Only the virtual E: drive.

I thought, it might be alcohol, because it as well as starcraft were in the list of progs that SP2 affects.

Anyway, I uninstalled it, and now I don't have the E: drive, but I dont have the D: drive still...

I did restart.

I cant access D: drive though my comp, explorer, anything really, not even command prompt.

I tried scanning for new hardware - no luck.
    Tried manually installing it, but it wasn't in the list, and then I don't know jack about it, like the manufacturer, so I can't install it that way, and it isn't in the generics.

Ummm, yer, some suggestions please.

O by the way, I do have the backup option of uninstalling SP2, and system restore point before I installed it.

I don't wish to resort to that, might not even fix it.

2. scmazter

scmazter Thread Starter

Aight, nvm, I fixed it.
    Lets hope it stays fixed.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice