1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 - Slow Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by C&C, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C&C

C&C Thread Starter

Since installing SP2 the other day, I've gone from a boot time of approx. 30 seconds to just short of 2 minutes. Basically, I'd like to know why??

The PC is a stand-alone system and essentially loads 3 things on start-up: Norton Firewall (2004), AVG and an ADSL modem driver. I disabled the warnings that the new Service Centre provides, as I don't use the auto-update feature and have both a firewall and anti-virus program (the Windows firewall is disabled).

I've run a BootVis trace (and optimisation) and the two items taking up the time are Logon + Service (91 secs) and the Shell (93 secs). CPU and disk usage during this particular period of time is negligable, there are no driver delays shown nor any created processes. On a side note, it also claims Disk Write Caching is disabled although I have selected it on in the device manager for the HDD (is there another way to check this?)

Can anyone provide me with details on what my PC is doing during this time, or further software to help diagnose the problem?

2. Alessia-C

Alessia-C

I'm having the same experience. Pre SP2 boot time was approximately 60 seconds but now it is 3 minutes plus. :(

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Typically, the first couple boots after installing Service Pack 2 is really slow, but then it levels out. How many times have you rebooted since installing the Service Pack??

4. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

5. Alessia-C

Alessia-C

I have had SP2 for about 2 weeks now and I reboot my machine at least 5 times every day because it never stops crashing. I think it would be safe to say I have booted over 60 times since the install and it has not levelled out. I have even uninstalled a few programs that I wasn't using, all of which were set to start with Windows, so theoretically it should boot up faster, not slower.

Alessia

6. Alessia-C

Alessia-C

7. C&C

C&C Thread Starter

I've also rebooted numerous times - at least a dozen since installing SP2. I believe the link Dust Sailor was referring to is support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 although I'm not using any of the programs listed. There's also a few more documents on support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw for anyone else with general questions.

For some reason, the links don't work correctly when marked as URL so you'll need to copy them and paste them into your browser.

8. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

9. dai

dai

10. mimo2005

mimo2005

i think it has something to do with prog in 64-bit , and there is also something i ve seen somewhere about the amd 64 ,that you need to make some tweeks .

11. darkviper

darkviper

i have the same problem. nearly all the antiviruses clash with my compputer calusing the longest startup even the AV driver contiinues to run for 5 mins after startup taking up 100% CPU ever since SP2

12. dai

dai

try setting your a/v to low cpu priority for scans or no scans on boot

13. darkviper

darkviper

it is and it dosent scan at startup. it only happens with the major brands like norton and panda so they must have something in common

14. dai

dai

try reinstalling your a/v
    which one are you using

15. darkviper

darkviper

nod32 because it dosent slow down my system and its the best in my opinion

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice