1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 troubles

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by icebush, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

I read from an earlier post regarding trouble getting SP2. The member was told to get SP3 which has SP2 updates. But the SP3 page says not to download it if you don't have SP2 which I no longer have after having to do a repair reload XP. The Microsoft pages say 'step by step instructions' and 'let us do it for you'. None of those links work. Is there a location where I can go straight to and download SP2 and then move on to try SP3? Or otherwise, please tell me how to get thru all this. Thank you. Icebush

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I installed SP3 on to a system with only SP1 yesterday and fetched up with no Windows Firewall so it is important to get SP2 first. Search the M$ site for it - they must still have it there somewhere.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    icebush:

I highly suggest that you download and save the full SP2 and SP3 upgrades and then burn them off to CD-R's. You can then install the upgrades from the CD-R's in that computer and in any other computer that may need them. And you'll have the upgrades readily available if they're needed again in the future. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Before you start any of the upgrades, do the following:

Go into Power Options in the Control Panel, set the power scheme to "Always On", set all other settings to "Never", uncheck "Enable hibernation", then click Apply - OK.

Go into Display in the Control Panel, set the screensaver to "None", then click Apply - OK.

Restart your computer.

This prevents the power management features and the screensaver from kicking in during the upgrade process and causing a problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

Thank you Mumbodog and Saga Lout for your replies. Last night when I went to bed I left SP2 downloading as it takes 10 or so hours with dialup. This morning I discovered it had failed at 66 mb. I failed to write down the error message, but it was something to the effect that 'this is not a Windows 32 application'. In large letters on the SP2 download site it says 'Do not download this for a single computer', but the other links they have there will not work as needed. It says 'step by step instructions' and 'let us do it for you', but they do not work. Do you suggest I try the download again, and get the exact error message when/if it fails again? I don't know what else to do at this point.
    Thank you.

6. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

Thank you flavallee for your suggestions. I'm going to ask someone with high speed internet to put those on a cd for me, and I'll do as you say.

7. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

Thanks again flavallee, but I just discovered the XP repair didn't eliminate the virus. When I tried to use the floppy drive, it first read and listed the files. Then it began telling me there was no disk in the drive, and then it started saying it couldn't find the drive. Ditto the cd. So before needing the service packs, I'm going to have to wade thru a complete XP install. Looks like wiping out everything is the only way to beat this thing. Chiao.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Ouch! I didn't know you're on "snails pace" dialup. You definitely need to have someone with a high-speed connection and a CD burner download and save and burn off those upgrades for you.

If you're planning to do a hard drive format and fresh install of XP, make sure that you have your computer's devices identified and have the XP drivers for them before you start. If all the drivers don't get installed during the install of XP, you'll need to install them afterwards. The chipset, display adapter/video card, audio device/sound card, and network adapter/network card are the primary ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

Hi, flavallee,
    I re-installed XP yesterday afternoon. Do you think auto updates will add Sp 2 & Sp3?
    Since I fired it up this morning a massive automatic update has been downloading for about
    an hour, and it isn't even up to 1% yet. Thank you for your thoughts regarding the drivers.
    Evidently all went well, but I have a drivers cd that came with the pc. However, there was
    no monitor with the computer; I just bought the box. I use a Dell monitor, but the drivers
    may not have been on the cd because it seems to be locked in safe mode with the large
    icons and cursor, etc, . When I go into the settings for the monitor, all the buttons are
    grayed out. Would this be something SP2 will take care of? If I had a nice 24" flatscreen,
    it might be OK, but my wallet situation precludes such an addition. Would there be any
    drivers available for this monitor online? Last night I downloaded PC Doctor; it's a spyware
    and anti-virus program in one. Is that one good, or do you think Norton or some other one
    would be better? Thank you for all your help and advice. Icebush

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You should've set "Automatic Updates" to only notify you of updates and not to automatically download or install them. This way, you have full control over what gets downloaded and installed and when.

I'm assuming that you did a reinstall of XP SP1. When you started your computer and dialup connection, "Automatic Updates" kicked in and started downloading. When you click on the yellow shield in the taskbar and the window appears, what does it say is downloading? Hopefully, your connection won't time out or you won't have a power outage that knocks your computer off-line. You should've burned the SP2 and SP3 upgrades to CD-R's.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Monitors are pretty plug-and-play and can be connected to any computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. helpful

helpful

When downloading large files on dial-up I would strongly suggest using a download manager. That way if the downloads stops (server connection reset, etc) with most websites you can simply start the download again and "resume" where you left off.

SP2:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

SP3:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...2ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Also since you have dial-up, you also may wish to integrate sp2 and sp3 directly onto the install Windows XP setup cd. If this a route you want to go, nlite is very user friendly tool that will guide you through the steps.

12. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

Hi, flavallee & helpful,
    Thank you for your helps. I apologize to both of you and others for being so ignorant, but I don't do this system stuff very often, and I forget how to do things. I actually thought the automatic update feature was the best way to go. I didn't know to click on the yellow shield, in fact there was no yellow shield. The download ran for almost 24 hours. The weird part was when I was automatically bumped offline because of the time limit that my isp told me about, the computer re-connected itself 2 or 3 times so I was able to sleep most of the night. I asked a cousin who has high speed service to put SP2 & SP3 on a cd, but I haven't heard from him. I tried unplugging the monitor then doing a restart, but it didn't think it was a new plugin. The pages open very large so I have to do a lot of horizontal scrolling. All the message boxes and print look like it's in safe mode. I found a Dell monitor drivers site, but I'm not sure what to do with it after I download it. Also, when I click to turnoff, the 'standby' option is grayed out, so I have to either let it run all the time or turn it off many times thru the day. And when I did ctrl-alt-del, under the 'shutdown' tab, it is grayed out there too. Any thoughts? And whatever the big download was, it was not SP2. As I write, there's another automatic download running. The icon is too small for me to tell what it is, but when I right or left click on it nothing comes up to identify what is downloading. I'm about to conclude that demons are running this thing.

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Let's get this straight - you aren't ignorant! The ignorant people don't think they need to come here for advice. :D

I don't know if the other posters here would agree but given that you have Dial-up and a time limited ISP account, it's probably not worth trying to get these critical updates directly. When you hear from your cousin, if he's local to you, you might like to ask him to pop over and copy your XP to a flash drive then slipstream the two Service Packs into it using nLite or similar, and instructions from Paul Thurrot's Supersite for Windows.

See what the others reckon.

14. icebush

icebush Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the helps from you folks. I'm still struggling with overcoming the virus mess. The automatic updates actually downloaded SP2, and it may be doing SP3 right now; it doesn't tell me; just says it's downloading updates. The color settings for the monitor are on 4, and all the adjustment places are grayed out. I keep a calculator shortcut on the desktop, and it looks like an antique radio, not a calculator. Even 'Stand by' is still grayed out. All the boxes and windows are locked into extra large safe mode. I found a site sponsored by Dell called DriverWhiz. I bought their program, but it made things worse, so I've asked for a refund. The Dell monitor I have is model # DRDW-U120410-64HCM. I've never had any troubles with it till this virus hit. Is there any hope for resolving this without having to buy another monitor? Thank you.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    From what you're saying, the display adapter in your computer is the problem, not the monitor. It sounds like the driver needs to be installed.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager, then click the + in Display Adapters. What's listed there?

If there's a heading named Other Devices or Unknown Devices, click the + and advise what's listed there.

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice