SP2 update messed up my internet!!!! help!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

track 1

ever since i downloaded sp2 a few days ago. i can't open links. to my email or website links. how do i fix this? like i can't open this www.espn.com or anything. it just freezes.

On ie , click on tools , add on manager , and check if any plugin like shockwave , java etc that is required by sites are disabled , if yes enable them ...

track 1

maxmelbin said:
On ie , click on tools , add on manager , and check if any plugin like shockwave , java etc that is required by sites are disabled , if yes enable them ...
everything is enabled.

track 1 said:
ever since i downloaded sp2 a few days ago. i can't open links. to my email or website links. how do i fix this? like i can't open this www.espn.com or anything. it just freezes.
Yep - same thing is happening to me. Some one said that there are updates available for SP2 - I am still trying to find them. Why did you use SP2 instead of SP4? Let me be clear - I don't know much about computers, but I am having the same problems - is there a particular reason you went with SP2?

The instructions for uninstalling SP2 are here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/support/issues/sp2faq.asp

But they don't mean anything unless you are a programmer. Sometimes it CAN'T be uninstalled apparently. Check this out -

Q. What is the procedure for uninstalling Windows 2000 SP2?

A.

This Service Pack contains an uninstall feature that you can use to restore a computer to its previous state. When you run the Update.exe program to install the Service Pack, a subfolder named $ntservicepackuninstall$ is created in your %windir% folder.
You can uninstall the Service Pack by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or by running the uninstall program from the command prompt.

Important Service Packs that have been installed using the integrated installation method cannot be uninstalled.

In addition, as with previous Service Packs, if any programs or services have been installed that require or have fixes contained in the Service Pack, uninstalling the Service Pack can adversely affect those programs.

Nice, huh? Try pasting that $ntservicepackuninstall$ thing into the run box and hitting enter. Tell me what that stuff all means.

Will overinstalling SP4 help us? Who knows?

track 1

mset said:
Yep - same thing is happening to me. Some one said that there are updates available for SP2 - I am still trying to find them. Why did you use SP2 instead of SP4? Let me be clear - I don't know much about computers, but I am having the same problems - is there a particular reason you went with SP2?

The instructions for uninstalling SP2 are here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/support/issues/sp2faq.asp

But they don't mean anything unless you are a programmer. Sometimes it CAN'T be uninstalled apparently.

Will overinstalling SP4 help us? Who knows?

lol i clicked on the link it froze. forgot that i can't. had to control alt delete

maxmelbin said:
ya u can uninstall SP2 .. uninstall from add / remove program ....
Not me - there is nothing in Add/Remove programs that will allow me to uninstall SP2 - all I have that says Service Pack on it is Internet Explorer Service Pack 1.

Is it called something else? Thanks, Nick

prospect said:
Try going here to call Microsoft and maybe get some free help with sp2.
Nice!! But I notice that the link is for Windows XP SP2 help.

I am on Windows 2000 Pro - I wonder if they'll help me. Only one way to find out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.