1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP2 upgarde is giving Access denied and not completing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by solution416, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. solution416

solution416 Thread Starter

During the install process I am receiving a couple of different errors.

1st - When it is backing up registry files, it was not able to back-up the registry key or the registry value for HKCR/.DVR-MS (5: Access is denied). I had the option to ignore and chose it. It was then able to complete the registry back-up and create a restore point.

2nd - It goes through the installation of the files and was over half-way completed when the setup wizard closed and gave me a SP2 Setup Error message (Access is denied). The program then deleted all of the installed files and reloaded the back-up files.

I went to msconfig / restart and disabled many of the startup programs and even installed pc bug fix but nothing had helped

Any ideas?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Are you logged in as admin? Is your XP activated? Do you have SP1 installed?

3. solution416

I am looged in as an administartor in XP. I have service pack2 installed
    he sp2 goes into the isntallation for about 45 minutes before it stopes.

4. solution416

The machine I have is about 2 years old and I do not recall if I needed to activate the product then. I do not thing so. how do I chcek if it is activated?

5. ~Candy~

Do you have any virus programs running in the background?

If XP wasn't activated, it would have stopped working by now. If the machine is a Gateway or Dell, they activate it for you.

6. solution416

I have norton 2005 . shoudl I shut it don ? OK I will try that.
    Thanks

7. ~Candy~

Yes, ALWAYS turn off virus programs and as many other items as you have running as possible before installing any new software. They often conflict with the install process.

I had a similar problem updating a Dell system with McAfee running. It would get half way done with the backup and just stall.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice