1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sp2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by min, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. min

min Thread Starter

Morning people,

I hope someone can help me here. I run Windows XP and yesterday i installed Microsoft SP2, as it was loading, a message came up saying i had a Trojan Horse virus and to run AVG to get rid of it, which i did but it came up clear. Does anyone know if that means i have no virus or just that AVG didn't find it?

Thanks, Min

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. min

min Thread Starter

Hello Dan O, thanks for taking the time to reply. I went to the trendmicro site to use housecall scan but it wouldn't load fully because apparently it was being blocked, in order to download i have to download ActiveX control 'xscan53.cab'; is this okay to do?
    Min

4. southernlady

southernlady

Yes, it is...there are some active x controls that are safe to download. Liz

5. Dan O

Dan O

Min,

From a known trusted site it okay to download components.

6. min

min Thread Starter

Thank you southernlady and Dan-O, your advice is much appreciated. I will go and do the downloading now; and by the way, why is it that since i downloaded SP2, my cursor moves about the screen by itself?

7. zoombini

zoombini

More likely to be the trojan playing with ur house settings i would think.

Can u boot into safe mode and run antivirus from there? Also check the task monitor (cntl,alt.del) to see if there's any strange processes running in the background.

8. mimo2005

mimo2005

if your cursor moves by itself, the hackers is walking and playing freely with your pc , congratulation you ve been hacked !
    get next time something stronger than avp like mcafee,kaspersky,nod32..
    and also an anti trojan running real time like wormguard,tds3 or pestpatrol .the firewall comes free with sp2 ,so u won t need it .

9. southernlady

southernlady

10. min

min Thread Starter

Hi all (thanks to everyone for their input),
    I have just used the housecall/trendmicro scan and it came up clean! So what the hay is going on? As for the moving cursor, that only started after i had downloaded SP2. Buggered if i know what's going on.
    Min

11. min

min Thread Starter

Also, zoombini, i did both things as you suggested; AVG wouldn't run in safe mode, or at least i couldn't get it to, and there was nothing dodgy running when i checked the task monitor - thanks for your suggestions.
    Min

12. mimo2005

mimo2005

do you know that trojans and viruses are different ?avg fails and housecall fails because you likely have a trojan or a worm,and NOT virus . an antivirus doesn t detect all trojans and worms .
    use adware se ,if that doesnt help use tds3 ,email me if you need more help how to use them .good luck

13. min

min Thread Starter

mimo2005,
    Thanks, i do have adaware and use it regularly; is that different from adaware se, and what is tds3?
    Min

14. southernlady

southernlady

15. min

min Thread Starter

Thanks southernlady; have just downloaded the new ad-aware and it sure found a lot of stuff when i ran it, didn't say anything about a Trojan though. While it was scanning, another message popped up saying to run AVG as i have Trojan horse Downloader Keenval.N; same as the other messages i got while installing SP2.
    That site you gave me for the ad-aware download, is that a reliable site to download other things from?
    Min

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice