1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sp3 killed my graphic drivers...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cnc_, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

I recently allowed automatic updates to install windows xp sp3. It seemed to be going smoothly until the process locked up about 90% through. I killed it & sp3 was dutifully removed and sp2 restored. However, my graphic drivers are broken and not assessable. I cannot uninstall them, nor can I re-install them.:eek:
    Has anyone else seen this? More to the point, short of a complete reinstall, what can I do?
    Thanks,
    cnc_

2. zabusant

zabusant

Why can't you uninstall it? How is it "broken"?

Have you tried safe mode?

3. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

When I go to controll panel/system, under display devices, it shows nvidia gvorce fx5500, but when I open that portion, I get this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

4. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

also, if I try to uninstall or re-install the geforce drivers, it won't let me.

I have not tried safe mode though.

5. zabusant

zabusant

Yeah, I would try safe mode for sure. Restart and start tapping F8 until you get to the selection menu, select safe mode with networking. The other thing you could try is system restore (Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore).

6. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

I tried safe mode with the same results. When I try to tun the setup on my graphic drivers, it fails with the message drivers already installed. When I try to open the geforce controll panel, the hourglass appers for 3 seconds, then nothing. I reset the system back 2 weeks with the same results... .
    When I try to scroll down a page, it is exceedingly slow with a 2 second refresh. 30 years ago that would have been impressive, but not today.

7. zabusant

zabusant

Maybe just try a repair install? If you have the Windows xp (sp2) disk...

And just btw - installing sp3 takes a long time, even on fast machines, so it might not have been frozen. If you decide to try it again, I suggest you just leave it running.

8. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

I left it going 24 hours

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You should download and save the full 316 MB XP SP3 upgrade from here and then burn it off to a CD-R. This way, you'll have it readily available to upgrade a computer that has XP SP1 or XP SP2 currently installed.

The SP3 upgrade usually takes an hour or less.

Did you disable or uninstall your antivirus program before you started the upgrade process?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

10. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

thanks for the link! I will download it. If I understood what I read on this forum earlier today that there is a problem with sp3 & some amd systems. something about a specific driver intel uses & amd doesn't or vise-versa...
    Since I have an amd system :
    amd athlon(tm)IIx4 635
    Processor
    2.91 ghz, 3.25 gb of ram

Could this be the source of my dilemma?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  12. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

I downloaded the patch & installed it, but when I go to control panel/system/device manager I get this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I am open for any suggestions
    By the way, I REALLY appreciate the help so far. thank you, thank you, thank you...

13. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

today I put in an old diamond stealth II card, thinking I could uninstall my nvidia drivers. however, when I rebooted, the screen would flash: diamond stealth II 4m installed. after that, nothing. I am at a loss here.
    Do I have to totally re-install windows?

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's possible the power supply in that computer can't handle the demands of that video card.

----------------------------------------------------------------

15. cnc_

cnc_ Thread Starter

i guess it's possible

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice