1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP3 killed my machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimthekiteguy, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimthekiteguy

jimthekiteguy Thread Starter

During the attempted install of SP3 for XP Pro I ended-up with a Blue Screen. It said something like "the install could not be completed because a program was not installed correctly or corrupted" I'm sure that is NOT the exact wording but to the best of my memory. At that point I believe I turned the machine off.
    When I tried to start it the next time, I get the screen telling me that Windows couldn't be started normally and gives me the options of; the three Safe-Modes, Last known good config, or Start normally.
    Last known good config and Start normally takes me to the Windows Splash Screen, the scroll bar is doing it's thing then it goes to a dark grey screen and sits... Forever!
    Any and All of the Safe -Mode options throws some scrolling files onto a black screen for a few seconds and then freezes... Forever!

I thought it might be my machine but I see a thread here today that has the exact same problem as a result of trying to D/L SP3 so I hope there might be a solution for me yet.

Of course I will be happy to donate to the website if someone can help me with this issue.

2. techychick

techychick

3. jimthekiteguy

jimthekiteguy Thread Starter

As stated above... I can not get to a command prompt using any method.

I can however get into Set-up and have run diagnostics on the two hard drives which passed with no problems reported.

Any attempt to start in any of the "Safe" modes results in a string of text and then a frozen machine which has to be powered down.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice