1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SP3 - Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by feathead, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. feathead

feathead Thread Starter

Install it? Is it stable enough or not. I'm always reluctant to upgrade software anymore until I hear good reports. What's the word? Win XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4400. Thanks.

John

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

I can't give you a definitive answer. I've seen lots of problems (mostly here) when SP3 has been applied to a mature system. I have installed it twice into fresh installs (slipstreaming and applying the executable) and experienced no problems. If you have kept your windows installation up to date with Automatic Updates or manually, then I wouldn't bother. If you want to apply it, I suggest you back up anything you want to keep beforehand and have the wherewithal to reinstall the OS, just in case.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The update is plenty stable enough, the question is is the platform its updating stable?

I've just let SP3 install itself peicemeal via Microsoft update on over a dozen everyday systems with no special prep without a problem, even several HP machines with AMD processors (though the updates were only recently offered for those systems). Carey Holzman from the Computer America show has done dozens of SP3 updates to client computers, no problems whatsoever except one time he accidently used a SP3 beta copy of the update and that messed something up because of that operator error and subsequently the final release worked fine on that system as well.

Based on that I'd say the odds for success are very good, though I'm sure they're not perfect.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I installed it a couple of weeks ago on my 3 year old laptop (232 thingy memory, 40 doodah hard drive) and no probs yet ... ( he says - tempting fate!!)

Richard

5. mt2002

mt2002

The only thing I ran into when I installed sp3 (by accident :) ) is that my previous theme seems incompatible. Everything else seems fine though ;)

6. shinybeast

shinybeast

Yay! I'm glad some other people posted their opinions. Was about to ask for more earlier. Maybe most of these issues we see are user error?

7. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

I haven't had any problems with it made my main computer faster

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    John:

If you already have XP SP2 installed and have kept up-to-date with the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates, the SP3 upgrade isn't required or mandatory.

I only install the SP3 upgrade in computers that I've formatted the hard drives and done a fresh install of XP SP2 in, and I do it with the full-size 316 MB upgrade file that I've burned to a CD-R.

You didn't mention if your Dell has an AMD processor or an Intel processor. A patch from Microsoft needs to be installed first if it has an AMD processor, or else there's a risk of continual rebooting after the upgrade is made.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!