1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spaces in doctype transitional

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by chrissy1955, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrissy1955

chrissy1955 Thread Starter

I need to nudge a few words across the page to look better and the validation says I can't use &nbsp I am assuming this is realated to a transitional doc type issue or is it to do with charset=utf-8 anyway how do i get to nudge the words across the page please:(

2. ehymel

ehymel

Use css and specify padding or margin as appropriate.

3. chrissy1955

thanks for the response, I am a student and not up to using CSS yet but will play with the idea of cellpadding and see how that goes Thanks

4. ehymel

ehymel

cellpadding is ok within a table element, but probably not what you want since it will add padding all the way around.

If you site layout is built in tables, but within an element you need to nudge to the right, you could wrap the nudged content with something like:
    <div style="padding-left:10px">text</div>
    Now this is certainly a hack, and the "better" way would be to use css for the whole thing, but when you're learning you mess around with things along the way to get what you want. When you're ready, some simple instructions like this page can help a lot with your understanding. It's worth the time to learn, and not too hard to do the basic stuff.

5. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Can I see the url to your site.... i googled it, but didn't come up,
    ps take this to a different forum////

6. chrissy1955

<h3 style="text-align:left;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans serif;color:Darkorange"> WHY SHOP ONLINE AT JOE'S</h3>

I want to nudge along from why shop online at joe's as it sits above an unordered list.

I haven't published to WWW just learning. Which forum should I take it to? I have saved the CSS doc you sent for when I am up to that - many thanks

7. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

You can use &nbsp..... just make sure you have a ; immediatly after the &nbsp

This issue will not have anything to do with your doc-type or charset, I would have to see what you have that gives this error.

I have used &nbsp; to bump an image/text from left to right. part of the learning curve.... There are other ways to place text, but all in good time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice