1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spam emails from a Yahoo account

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by js73, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. js73

js73 Thread Starter

This concerns the computer of a friend, which has been sending spam emails to all on his mailing list. He has AVG as the antivirus, but this virus seems to have escaped AVG. He has deleted all the contacts from Yahoo, but the spams continue. Any help will be greatly appreciated. He is about 10,000 miles from where I am at present, so I can not look at his computer, except perhaps remotely.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The spam is really being sent from his computer? If so he may want to get help in the Virus & Other Malware Removal Forum. If he decides to do that be sure to remind him to read the instructions in that first sticky thread.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You should be able to compare the header of a known valid message from your friend against the header for the spam. This should let you know if their computer is sending the spam, someone has hacked into their Yahoo account, or if some spammer is forging your friends yahoo email address in spam being sent through some other mail server.

FWiW, I received some spam from a friend's Yahoo account a few days ago that she normally accesses via a web browser. I compared the headers for the spam against a recent legitimate email from her. The only difference in the message routing was the IP address of the computer that Yahoo reported as using HTTP access to the account. Checking the address showed it was in a block of addresses assigned to Venezuela. I had her change her password right away and strongly suggested she run MBAM Free to hopefully catch any password stealers or keyloggers and change her password again if any were found and removed.

EDIT: If the spam is continuing after your friend cleared their on-line address book, the spammer most likely got a copy of all the contact addresses and is now sending spam from some other server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice