1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spark from wall socket & boom in PC - now won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Javel, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Javel

Javel Thread Starter

So i was plugging in my computer, and when i plugged it in i heard a spark noise come from my wall socket and then a boom from my computer..., i keep trying to turn it on now and it just does this thing where it blinks thrice and has a 3 number above the power and then it cuts off.... Nothing
    Please i would really like some help so i dont need to buy a whole new pc... If you need the video of the blinking power button thingy lmk since im not allowed to post a vid here...
    Ill post attach a ss below and basically, after i pushed the power button on, it blinks like this 3 times and cuts out

Attached Files:

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Seems that something got fried inside your computer (Power supply, Motherboard, etc).

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well something shorted/fried and the only way you are going to find out is to test each part in a bench or test system. I would start with the pw supply. Dells come with a decent pw supply; not top of the line however not junk either. You can swap in a pw supply for testing. Note you do not need to fully install the test unit. Simply connect atx, aux, and video pw [if used] and hit the ON button. If the motherboard completes POST, then you know the pw supply was the problem. If the system does the same thing as before, then most likely a motherboard failure.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Note old dells have proprietary pw supplies. The newer models have standard atx type pw supplies. We have no idea what you have since you have not posted specs. It would help if you posted the exact brand, model# and service tag#

5. Javel

Javel Thread Starter

I dont rlly know all that, windows 10 operating system
    Ram 10 gigs
    Gtx 710
    Xeon W3565
    PowerBoxathing 525Watts
    320 hard drive
    Thats all i pretty much know... Sorry this is my first time with computers, i was thinking about having geeksquad look at it but idk how much they cost

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Best Buy/geeksquad is about the LAST place to take anything. If you do not want to do the troubleshooting yourself, take the system to a real shop. By shop, I mean just that a real shop that does builds, installs networks, etc.

7. Javel

Javel Thread Starter

Ok then, do
    Ok then, do you know if theres any shops in (Florida Melbourne, Area Code 32935?)
    And how would i troubleshoot it myself

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. Check with friends for a reference.
    Swap in a test pw supply
    Test your motherboard in a test or bench system

9. Javel

Javel Thread Starter

How would i test my motherboard?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I have already explained it twice; you need to test your board in a bench or test system ie you install your motherboard in a known working system OR do an out of case build with your board and known working parts ie cpu, ram, pw supply, video.
    Short of sending the board to an electronics lab/shop for a VERY expensive diagnostic, that is the only way.

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    lynx1021 likes this.
  12. replay

replay

i would purchase a new power supply from your local bestbuy (you can always return it after the test)
    then watch the above video from 26:42........... (atleast u can rule out a blown power supply if same results)

13. Javel

Javel Thread Starter

Yeah i think its the power supply, i did the smart thing and ignored all you guys :p and waited for my brother to come home, we checked if the power supply was getting any power and the light that was supposed to turn on didnt, im gonna do this idea though thanks

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Make sure you find out if you have a proprietary pw supply. As I said before old dells do not use a standard pw supply. Newer ones do.

15. Javel

Javel Thread Starter

I have no ****ing idea what a proprietary pw supply is, ill send some screenshots below, and for the plugin i counted it and it was a 11x6 pin thingy.... It had 66 pind for the plugin or whatever... Pictures are below

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice