1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sparks flew, trying to work out what needs replacing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swordykins, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swordykins

Swordykins Thread Starter

Hi Guys, first post here.

I was trying to replace some case fans on my custom build PC with the power on (big mistake) and the power connectors from the motherboard hit something (either the mobo or the gpu) and caused a spark. The computer continued to run but I panicked and turned off the computer via the psu. Upon connecting the fans trying to start up, the computer goes to BIOS, then Starting Windows and then a delay before returning just a blank red screen (as pictured). I tried again in safe mode and then everything booted fine so I tried again on normal. Red screen again. After disconnecting the fans, the computer doesn't load bios or do anything on screen. I lost the mobo speaker a while ago so no POST beeps to go on although I'm considering buying another.

So I know I've shorted something but I'm not sure quite what:

GPU - was operating fine before and in safe mode but doesn't seem to be working now.
    Mobo
    PSU
    CPU

How do I tell what's broken without replacing the component? Let me know if I can provide any more info! :)

Specs:
    Asus M5A97 mobo
    Asus Radeon HD 7770 gpu
    AMD bulldozer FX-8120 cpu
    XFX pro850w psu
    16gb RAM
    64gb crucial ssd
    2TB seagate hdd
    Advance 8102B0 X11 case

[​IMG]

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So now you can't get anything on screen ? Safe mode doesn't give a display now ?

EDIT : what do you mean by 'power connectors from the motherboard' ?

3. Swordykins

I don't even get BIOS, the monitor doesn't pick up anything.

EDIT: I just mean the 3 pin connectors.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Looks to me that you fried the motherboard.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, please reply to my edit in post #2 as well.
    EDIT : I see you already did !

It's looking like your graphics card is damaged. You can't do much to diagnose anything without a display though. Can you try a different graphics card ?

6. Swordykins

Possibly. What would be your suggestion to confirm this?

@managed
    It's just a paid of 3-pin female connectors attached to the motherboard. Extention wires I guess?

Yeah, that's a possibility. I could see if one of my mates can lend me theirs. Would a mobo speaker confirm its the gpu? Thanks.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    They are for fans, the mobo manual shows 2x4pin and 1x3pin on the short edge near the Cpu. The middle one is a 4pin for the Cpu fan, the one nearest the front is a 3pin for 'PWR_Fan' whatever that means and the 4pin nearer the back is for 'CHA_FAN2' which presumably means Chassis Fan 2. Does that seem correct ?

EDIT : A speaker might help.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  9. Swordykins

@managed
    Thanks for your help
    http://imgur.com/afCZOOR
    this cable is connected to the PWR_FAN plug and is what caused the spark (through my idiocy also)!

I'll go out and buy a speaker tomorrow.

10. replay

replay

don't think the speaker will help u.... in your shoes, i would do a "out of case build" on the mobo box (or similar)
    try and borrow a video card from a friend
    theres a chance you have damaged the mobo and or the video card (but u say it boots up fine in safemode!!!)
    that asus motherboard is abit of a dud IMHO...... good luck and keep us posted

11. Swordykins

Why should I do an out of case build? Seems like it would take a long time.
    I'll see if someone can lend me their gpu. That's the weird thing! It booted up fine before but now the screen just doesn't pick up the computer at all. :/
    What's wrong with the mobo in your opinion? Thanks for your help! (y)

12. replay

replay

out of the case its just easier to diagnose..... but it could be the video card, (hopefully) that would be a easy swap over ....

i had a Asus M5A97 and send it back to asus twice....... still didn't work right........so got rid of it

13. Swordykins

Hi guys, update time!

Took my gpu to a friend's house and it failed to display anything. The LEDs light up and the fans go but it's not working. The lights are on but no one's home. I would assume that I can pronounce the card dead at this point however would it be worth considering sending it off to be fixed somewhere? I don't have any of the original box or docs unfortunately.

Aside from that, could you guys recommend a new GPU for my build? I'm considering an R9 280 (according to logical increments) but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again lads!

14. replay

replay

how long have u had it??? did u buy online?? (receipt will be in your a/c) is it still in warranty??? if it is might be worth a shot
    would have been good if u took your tower over to your pals then u could have installed his gpu to see if YOUR system booted up!!!
    not a gamer but i have heard the r9 is a good card

15. Swordykins

Three years ago and yeah, I could have a look I suppose. :)

We thought that but he lives pretty far away and doesn't want to be without a gpu for that long.

Thanks for your input.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice