1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speaker static

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vookster82, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

hi there, I recently used the system restore CD for my gatway pc...got sick of everything being cluttered...redid everything on the computer...let the cd do the partitioning, format and install of win 98 and used the other 2 Cd's for my hardware...except for my soundcard....thats was on a fourth seperate cd...Soundblaster Live. Anyways...i did this about a year ago and had no problems...but this time i got a semi faint static coming from my speakers...along with a mild sqeal when i use my mouse wheel...wierd. The only thing i did differently this time was that i installed my soundblaster driver and stuff after i had installed a few other things like my external modem, printer, and a few programs....thats the only thing i can think of that i did differently this time was not install the soundcard stuff right after i installed the main hardware drivers with my restore disks. I dont have any driver problems in my device manager either..... sblive.com is little or no help ofcourse....any suggestions would be great. Thanks for reading

2. i hate ram

i hate ram

try contacting gateway support at www.gateway.com . they have a screensharing app where they fix the problem for you. you get to just sit back and relax ;)

3. vookster82

even with an older computer...bout 3 yrs old now

4. vookster82

The reason for my static was when i used my system restore Cd's...i unplugged everything except my mouse keyboard monitor....and the speaker lines.....i forgot to take the speaker line out prior ;)

5. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Take your sound card out.
    Power back up.
    Shut-down
    Put card back in and reinstall drivers.
    It could be the connections as well even the way the card is seated in the PCI or ISA slot.

Also a driver update may be in order.
    That would be rare but check it out anyway

6. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

If you go to volume control ( the window with all those sliders for wave , CDROM etc) beneath those sliders is a box where you can mute individual input signals.
    Try muting 1 at the time & listen if the static disappears.
    If you find the 1 , post it here.
    Sometimes 1 of the input signals is not connected to anything & your card is trying to amp (amplify) a non existing signal producing only static.

Bad connector contacts could be an issue.

You probably have a separate lead connecting your CDROM to your sound card , sometimes this lead is shielded poorly & all those nasty block signals from other hardware will interact with your CDROM signal.

EDIT:
    Does this mean you solved it already :D

7. vookster82

yes it does mean i solved it already...Thanks anyways

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice