1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speaker volume too low.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgl1, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

I just put together my gf's new Compaq computer. She has an AMD chip and is running XP Home. Realtec AC97 on board sound. Polk Audio speakers with no volume adjust on the speaker, controlled by computer. Problem is the sound will only go up so far, which isn't very loud at all. Speakers worked fine on her previous computer. They are configured correctly. Any clue as to why this would occur? Thank you for any insight.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Probably the old computer had a sound card with a built in amp on it. Your Gf will need new powered speakers if you want louder sounds. At least the new ones are pretty cheap.

3. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

That's pretty much what I figured. I knew it had to be the sound card issue. Well, ya can't have everything for nothing so it's a fair trade. Thanks.

4. Telstar

Telstar

Have you clicked on the Speaker Icon in the System Tray and made sure the
    *Wave* Volume is on max?
    (Probably the first thing you checked, right? But, I had to ask)

Telstar :)

5. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Yup, sure did. But you're right. Sometimes we don't see the forest for the trees. I think it's a case of "Crappy on board sound codec".

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281675