1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speaker volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CanAm, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

Hi all,

Recently I had to replace my CPU and now my speakers are not as loud as they were with the other one. I have all the volume controls up as high as they will go on my computer and there is no volume knob on the speakers.

Is there another way to make them louder that I am unaware of?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just the CPU, the processor? That has nothing to do with the volume.

Are the speakers amplified?

3. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

All I know is when I replaced the tower (Central Processing Unit) my speakers weren't nearly as loud as they were before.

Is there another way to increase the volume besides what I described in my original post?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The whole tower and not just the CPU.

The only way to make them louder is to turn up the volume on the speakers. There has to be a control if they are powered. If they are not powered, then they won't work. There is no amplifier on the sound card.

5. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

There is no volume knob on the speakers. So, do I have to remove the speaker covers and look inside?

6. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

OK, I'm outa here for the weekend but I will check back on Monday.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Sometimes, things can be simpler than they appear. Just in case, go to Start / Settings / Control Panel

Open the Sound and Audio Devices Properties, under the Volume tab, under Speaker Settings, click on Advanced. Then, under the Speakers tab, choose the Speaker setup that better suits your configuration.

[​IMG]

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Have fun.

It looks like your previous machine (pretty old?) may have had an amplifier built into the sound card. That used to be standard practice and speakers just needed to be plugged in. But they don't do that any more, and you need to have amplified speakers with their own power source and amplifier. They are not too expensive in department stores.

9. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice Phantom010. However, I looked into what you had said and all of my speaker controls were up as high as they will go.
    So, perhaps Elvandil is right and my "previous machine" WAS "pretty old." I didn't think it was because I got it in 2004. But, it does have speakers that just plug in and they don't have a volume control knob on them.
    Guess I'll have to replace them now. :(

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I have speakers that fit on both sides of my computer screen. No volume knob at all and the sound is great!

It has nothing to do with Volume control. You have to choose a profile that matches your speaker configuration.

11. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

Hi again Phantom010,
    That's just it. My speakers don't have a volume knob either and they were plenty loud until I had to change my HP Tower, CPU, processor, whatever it's called. Now I can hardly hear them with the volume controls all the way up!

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Perhaps you missed this one:
    Start | Run, type mmsys.cpl, Press Enter (Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices)
    Under Speaker settings, click the Advanced... button
    Make sure the Speaker setup: drop down matches your set up
    Click OK
    Click the Speaker Volume... button
    Adjust the sliders to the right.
    Click OK
    Click OK

Also, double check your speaker plugs. If you replaced the tower, you may have gotten the speakers plugged into the wrong port, For example, if you have just two speakers and connect them to the Rear or Side jacks on a 5.1/7.1 system, you won't hear much.

HTH

Jerry

13. CanAm

CanAm Thread Starter

Thanks TheOutcaste,
    I had tried the advanced speaker settings when Phantom010 suggested it. But, this time I tried every single setting even though I knew it didn't pertain to my set up. So, in the end I put it back on "Desktop Stereo Speakers" which is what I have.
    As far as checking my speaker plugs I will have to try that later. You see, I have a permanent desk/cabinet set up that I designed for a computer, and only my monitor & speakers sit on top of it. My tower and other stuff sit in their own compartment under my desk as are all of the hidden wires. My set up looks great, but unfortunately it's not so great to work on. And, being handicapped makes it VERY hard for me to get down on the floor to access it.
    It will take me some time and some energy to do what you suggested, but I will give it a shot. I have also acquired some other speakers that DO have a volume control knob on them, so when I finally get down to pull out my tower I will replace my speakers if your suggestion doesn't work.
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everybody.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

A nice set of amplified speakers is not too expensive. Sound cards usually have good quality output and a good set of speakers, though more expensive, can replace your stereo equipment. It really depends on how high you want the quality of the output for your computer. If you never use it for music, then the cheaper speakers will be fine.

I'd have to agree with you, though, that 2004 is not very old. I would not have expected a machine that new to have a built-in amplifier. But there are literally 1000's of models out there, so just about anything is possible.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!